Curb Appeal Help

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by wooley99, Jul 11, 2007.

1. wooley99

wooley99 LawnSite Senior Member

I could use some help with a request to do a quick and dirty make-over on a home about to go on the market. The owners are looking for curb appeal.

At the front of the lawn, between the u-shaped drive they want the sparse grass hidden, I recommend a free-form bed with ground cover. Any thoughts? (~13' deep x 30' wide)

They want the bed in front of the porch cleared out of weeds and and Cannas and most of the plants and the bushes thinned & bed mulched (30' wide x 6' deep)

The grass between the porch bed and the u-shaped drive is suffering from something, probably poor irrigation made worse by the overgrown everything covering three of the sprinkler heads in the shrub bed in front of the porch. They asked for it to be "fixed" or if necessary re-sodded. On the way home I thought maybe just make the grass go away, mulch and put low shrubs or ornamental grass instead? Or cut out the old and replace it? (33' wide by 8' deep)

The tree bed they want cleared out of weeds and bushes except for cleaning up the azaleas and mulched with the edge cut-in. About 1/3 of the perimeter is liriope or monkey grass the rest is just wandering. (45' x 23')

The close up is of the sparse grass at the end of the drive.

I have done all of the types of work requested but only as a homeowner. I can rent a sod-cutter and other equipment required if I don't already have it. I know how to figure out how long I think each task would take (I'll probably be wrong but that's how I learn), how much mulch and the cost for the other materials once decided upon and what I'd like to make per hour. What I'd really appreciate are ideas on what you'd do and roughly what you'd estimate for that.

The home is a waterfront in NW FL and yes that is the bow of a pickle-fork racing hydrofoil in the background. Behind the pickle-fork there's a sailboat and a skiboat on trailers too.

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks! More pics in separate post.

DSCF0092.jpg

DSCF0093.jpg

DSCF0094.jpg

DSCF0095.jpg

DSCF0096.jpg

2. wooley99

More pics of property

DSCF0097.jpg

DSCF0098.jpg

DSCF0099.jpg

DSCF0100.jpg

DSCF0101.jpg

3. wooley99

Last pics.. Oh yeah, I'll have to re-sod around the pampas where the neighbors put in a sidewalk to nowhere that only runs the length of their property.

thanks again!

DSCF0102.jpg

DSCF0103.jpg

DSCF0104.jpg

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I merged all your pictures into one thread, instead of 3 threads. Will make it easier for members to view.

5. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

lol....wtf is with that sidewalk?

6. wooley99

"Oh yeah, I'll have to re-sod around the pampas where the neighbors put in a sidewalk to nowhere that only runs the length of their property."

Who knows. It's the only sidewalk on the street and looks just a little out of place. Maybe they were hoping to start a trend of DIY sidewalks.