1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Curb Appeal

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Craig Turf Management, Apr 30, 2001.

1. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

I've been in the business just a few short years now, and I'm mowing a lot of grass. What I wan't to do is raise the standard. I want my work to stand out and be noticed. I work really hard to do this, by learning from my colleagues here at LawnSite, taking turf and hort. classes, and comparing my work to other properties around Charlotte.
    I was hoping some of you fine folks would share some of what you do to make your work stand out from all the other "grass cutters" out there. I mean details and tricks that really enhance the appearance of your clients property.
    I hope that I get some responses to this post from some of you seasoned pros out there. It's time to raise the bar.
    Thanks, Bill Craig
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I try to improve my striping to make it stand out from the other LCO's in my area. I try to make each stripe as straight as possible. I have found that operating both levers with one hand helps that a lot. If you hit a bump that throws your body sideways, it will affect the steering if you are using 2 hands, by moving one lever more than the other as your body is moving around. If you are using just one hand, both levers move together and you continue to go straight.

Another thing that helps you go straight is speed. The slower you go, the harder it is to go straight. Just watch a government worker while he is mowing. They mow at about 1 MPH and it looks like a side winder snake went across the lawn. You about have to drive a stake next to them to see if they are moving. :)

If I get off a fuzz while swatting a deer fly or get something in my eye, I will fix that problem by going over that pass and straighten it out, or the stripes could be off across the whole lawn.

The biggest problem I see with some LCO's is they get a hook at the end of the stripes. They start turning before they get to the end I guess and then keep doing it. The next thing you know, it looks like a horse shoe, it is so crooked.

I also like to make it look like I drove through a tree instead of going around it. This is one of the most asked questions of me, how do you do that?

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

One of the best things you can do is have incomparable triming. Perfect. The height, the cleanliness, the taper and angle, and so on. If you're trimming around a tree that has a raised base for instance, trim right against the tree first to clean that up, then make a few trips around the tree with the trimmer. If you go around it, rather than taking up and down motions as you go around, you will have a much cleaner, smoother result, reather than a choppy looking finish. Also, you kind of said it when you titled this post. CURB appeal. The curbs should be kept immaculate. Edged and CLEAN. That is what stands out. Since the curb is the closest thing from the yard to the onloker, it is what gets noticed easily. This, along with what Eric said, should make alot of difference.
  4. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the response guys. Any more of you willing to share the things that set you apart from other LCOs
    Thanks, Bill