curb hopping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SPENCER HUNTER, Sep 26, 2007.

1. SPENCER HUNTER

SPENCER HUNTER LawnSite Member

HOW DO YOU DO THIS? RIGHT NOW I'VE BEEN USING SMALL RAMPS,, SINCE THERE IS NO DRIVEWAY ENTRANCE THERE,, IS THERE A EASY-ER WAY ?:confused:

2. chevytrucks84

chevytrucks84 LawnSite Member

Walker Mowers makes a ramp that works great but depending on the width of your mower it may be too narrow. They are kinda pricy though...around $100 i think but well worth it. Very light weight and very durable. The company i use to work for had one and we used it for mowers as well as wheelbarrows and such

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

The easiest way is to back up to the curb and go in at an angle, so one wheel goes up first. Pretty easy once you try it!

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah with the Z just pull right up and push slowly up one front wheel at a time, then the rears pop right over.
    Unmount is a slow reverse process of the above, look out for cars and d/c blades first thou, then front tires down, then rears.

With a Wb it's a little more fun, but what you do is:
    - pull up and get as close as you can with the front wheels to the curb.
    - now pop a good wheelie and keep pulling up until your rear tires touch the curb, the deck should be over the surface now.
    - So lower the deck onto the surface and your rear wheels should lift a bit.
    - get up under the bars and push UP and FORWARD, voila.

Sounds hard but it's not, you only have to push it 3-4 inches, I will say after about a dozen curbs it does get tiring thou.
    Unmounting I d/c the blades, look out for cars, then just lift the deck slightly in the air and jump off, that part never gets tiring.
    Watch your speed thou, you kinda want to jump off slowly, go too fast and it might spin out on you but it's usually fine.

5. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

With a Z you back up to the curb and go at an angle. Let one wheel get on the curb first then back the other wheel on the curb next. Then make sure you get both front wheel straight the back both of them on to the curb at the same time. If you dont get the front wheels straight you can bend the frame. I have tried going at it straight on, front wheels first, but I have never been able to do it that way.

Walkbehinds I do the same as topsite.

6. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

With the Z I back up the curb diagnol 1 wheel at a time make sure the deck is all the way up then I straighten out and let the 2 front tires go up at the same time. The w/b I lift the deck and hit the curb at an angle one front tire at a time once they are both over the curb I let the deck down...easiest way

7. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

I have always backed-up to the curb and made both back wheels go at the same time. (this is with a Z) When I try to do one at a time, my curb wheel just seems to spin on the curb. Then make sure both front wheel are square to the curb before you make them go up or you will get hung up on your front wheels.

Coming down is easy. I go forward or backwards, does not matter.

8. Lordtimothy

Lordtimothy LawnSite Member

Remember anytime you go over a curb with or with out ramps SLOW DOWN. Seen a few people run up.....sorry I mean run into curbs at full speed to get into someones lawn. That will bend front casters in short order. Good suggestions above about one wheel at a time.

Timo

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I cut a 12" long 2x10 and drilled a hole in it and put a loop of kevlar cord in the hole. I use my trash pickup device to throw it down to the curb edge and after I pull onto the curb I pick up the the board. It takes a lot of stress off the front forks....I go on forward.

10. SPENCER HUNTER

SPENCER HUNTER LawnSite Member

the z that i have is 07 hustler mini z 42 inch deck w/ 19hp/kaw