1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

curb hopping?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brown's LC & L, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Brown's LC & L

Brown's LC & L LawnSite Member

I have a 48" Lesco walk behind, w/ jungle wheels, and was wondering if anyone has a suggestion on getting it up and down curbs on commercial jobs. Doing this by lifting it is hard on me and the equipment, plus it looks tacky fighting up there. I thought about making some ramps out of scrap wood, but would like to see if there are any better options. Thanks in advance for your reply.

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

i'd say your best bet is to make some small ramps. find a way to attach them to the mower or something so they are always at hand.

3. zMaster225

zMaster225 LawnSite Member

Go backwards up the curb one tire at a time. Hopefully you have a hydro drive. Otherwise it'll be a PIA.

4. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

We approach the curb at a 45 degree angle, pop a wheelie and go for it. I personally got to where I can do it pritty smoothly, but it takes practice and it can be hard on the hydo motors if your clumsy like some of my workers.

5. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

backwards one tire at a time. we use pistol grips, is it diffcult with ecs or bars like on a lesco commerical floating deck? everride make a great machine but because no pistol grips i never bought the hydro walkbehinds any one with experience with these type of machines? i am gettting new machines this year any comments would be great

6. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Backwards one wheel at a time usually works pretty good.

7. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Usually a 2x10 the width of the mower is sufficient and it can be mounted on the deck.

9. Weekes

Weekes LawnSite Member

Exactly we spend $XXXXXXXXXXXXX and then treat it like we got it for freeeeeeeeeee.

Obviously this is an exaduration on my part, but hey make the ramps.