Curb hopping?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeKle, Jun 18, 2010.

1. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

A few of my properties I have to get up over curbs to get to the islands grass, and I always wonder as Im backing the mowers up on these curbs if it is bad for the mowers, as it is pretty rough to do, and the deck buckles alot(floating decks) and i have to bang it back down, these curbs are about 7-8" I always approach it at an angle so one wheel gets on then the other, if I try it straight on, the mower will just spin the tires and wont climb the curb.

2. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

is there any slope to the curbs or is it the square type?

3. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

No slope, totally square, and I approach the lowest spot too, but for the most part, it is all around 8" tall

4. MS_SURVEYOR

MS_SURVEYOR LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to build you some ramps. Just something you could lay on the curb to ride up the slope. Heck, a couple of 2x8's 4 ft. long would work.

5. lawnsofmerritt

lawnsofmerritt LawnSite Member

Thats what we do for the really high ones.. The smaller ones we just lay a 4x4 post down and roll over it.. keeps the deck from scraping...

6. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

my thoughts exactly maybe even just a wedge like a wheel chock that might work also

7. Cboy7

Cboy7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Fl

I just approach real slow with the front tires.. pop em up and then go sideways.. do a hop de hop , and can get on most curbs without my deck ever scraping.
    (on the new wondrous exmark next magic miracle machine)

8. Cboy7

Cboy7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Fl

oh wait , why are we even answering mikele's question?
    he's the lamer that was trying to hire a chick to work half naked and wasnt gonna tell his girlfriend.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If I recall correctly the way I usually do it is by approaching SLOWLY with the
    front tires and mount it kind of sideways so it goes up one wheel at a time and
    watch closely, also the front tires need to have enough air in them.
    Then the back same way, one rear tire at a time, might have to punch it just
    a little at some exact moment.

Also you definitely should put the deck in the 'transport' position.

Granted the front of my mower swivels independent of the rear so I'm not sure if
    it all works out the same way or not, but I'm pretty sure that's how I would do it.

LOL it's all good.

10. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

I approach the same way you do. Done it hundreds of times. Have lost the air out of one front tire about 3 times. Never the rear tires. I'd suggest a ramp. 8" is pretty high.