Curb Jumping

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by DanielC, Feb 13, 2008.

1. DanielC

DanielC LawnSite Member

Hey guys,anybody out there got a good technic for climbing curbs?I use a 50' on some islands but I just don't have a good style I guess.

2. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

With a walkbehind? I go backwards and then pop the front wheels off the ground.

3. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

I back up the WB and pop a wheelie as I go up and over the curb...The Z I just back up onto the island.

4. DanielC

DanielC LawnSite Member

I use a Z but I hang up when I try to pivot.

5. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

I would not advise curb hopping. it is rough on your equipment. If you need to clemb curbs make a set of portable ramp blockscut at a 45 degree angle. Attach the two blocks with rope so you can pick up easily and keep them on the floor board of your z when not needed

6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

We installed the falt free tires on our Z. Now alls we do is drive down the block for about 50 feet and take a running start into the curb.

Hops right up...just make sure you are buckled in:cool2:

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Jumping curbs without some assist device is definitely very very bad on a unit. Not all curbs are the same height and some are just too darn high for an assist device. I got a 18" long piece of 2x10 and drilled a hole in one end and put a kevlar loop to be able to pick it up. I use the trash grabber to sit it in place and pull it up. It isn't perfect but work pretty well. At our major accounts I got bags of asphalt from Depot and build little ramps. I put them in places where cars aren't likely to run over them.

8. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I just back over the small 3-4 inch curbs. Bigger curbs I will back it up at an angle. Make sure your deck is up in transport mode first before doing!!! But I do agree with what the others have said, either buy some curb hoppers or make a quick set. Spending a few dollars on hoppers is alot cheaper than destroying your machine:)

9. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

discountramps.com

type in "shed ramps" on their search field. So you will not have to guess and get off your ztr several times, we tied some rope arount them for the proper spacing, either ztr or walkbehind. Get a heavy duty canvas bag (or have one made) and you're all set.

Works great with our Scag Turf Tiger

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

we carry a piece of treated 4 x 4 post about 50 inches long and use it as a step