Curb lines!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Total Grounds Maintenance, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Total Grounds Maintenance

Total Grounds Maintenance LawnSite Member

I am trying to find the most efficient way to clean curb lines. ZT's with baggers just don't do a good enouph job. I am getting killed with leaves and tree debris in the street gutters. I can not blow it back on the lawn and bag either because it looks like crap and takes to long. Is it possible to use a tow behind leaf loader on the ZT and custom make an attachment to just ride along and suck up that way?

2. Matt Hermann

Matt Hermann LawnSite Member

pull a craftsman lawn sweeper behind you....

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Blow it to the other side of the street.

Dude...
    F'it, bite the bullet, rake and a tarp, ONE time over and done.

4. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Blowing it up onto the lawn first is exactly what you SHOULD do. If it looks like crap, you need some kind of lawn mower school.

5. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly. Edge, trim, blow, then mow and bag. Then, if there's anything left, blow again. Lot's of times there's nothing left.

6. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Surprised to hear this on here!....did we work for the same group or something?...lol

7. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 LawnSite Senior Member

Nope! I've never worked for anyone in this line of work. But I've done things a bunch of different ways and found out what works for me, and this method works. I can't say that I do every lawn like this, but if I'm concerned about debris/clippings, this is the best way to do it, IMHO.

Just get the debris where the mower can pick it up, and then mow as usual.

8. Total Grounds Maintenance

Total Grounds Maintenance LawnSite Member

Guys,

these ain't little lawns we talking. If I were to blow these down and or shovel I would be there for 4-5 hours! Its like 1 point something miles of curbing! I know cause I did it today with 2 guys! To make it worse s#$*t keeps dropping looking worse than the last time I cleaned it up. I have to find a more efficient way of doing this cleanup. I absolutely cannot hire 2 extra guys to go out there to do this as its not in the (my) budget.

9. zo6

zo6 LawnSite Senior Member

come on topsites... You must be joking

10. zo6

zo6 LawnSite Senior Member

i mow in a development with very pristine lawns that have cobblestone curbing, you cant edge it its to rough, and being that i have 17 lawns in their alone its about a mile of curbing, i trim all the edges of curbing about every month and a half, and when im done,(on a non calm day) i walk along all the curbing spraying round up onto the top of the cobble stone, not on the lawn at all.... Make sure of that.... Nozzle directly on the stone, do not let your help do this!!!!!!! Then just wait for the next time you go and you'll have a very fine edge, (less than 1/4 inch to work with, i dont bill them for this, i simply bill for it when i edge the sidewalks once a month... And after doing this a few times, it looks as if you dont even need to edge, saves all taht trimming,and then you dont need to blow the street either.