curbing with lights

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Pro-Scapes, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

pretty cool, but i forsee the same problem

3. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

There is a veryselect few that will spend the $$ for lights. It's hard enough getting the sale on a regular curb.

4. Pro-Scapes

really ? what are you charging per ft ?

It seemed VERY popular around my moms house in the villages fl. Seemed like at least 7 out of 10 houses had it.

I wanna say she paid round 4 bucks a ft for it. I like the way it looks really clean vs the you stack em blocks that are also so popular.

I could sell some for ya if you were closer.. looking to find someone to do about 500ft at my own house but cant find anyone.

5. General Landscaping

Lights are an additional $5.50/ft

Standard grey, normal size curb is $4/ft; that includes basic ground prep only.
    Integrated color is $.89/ft for most colors, $1.50 for 5lb colors.
    Patterns and stamps are $1.15/ft

The problem in a "village" setting is that you need a minimum charge to recover costs for showing up and getting wet concrete all over everything.

A lot of people hit the fan when the $300 minimum comes up. They usually want just 20-30 feet. I'm not doing all that setup and clean up for $100 gross.

6. General Landscaping

Have you contacted the machine manufacturers?
    They should be more than happy to direct you to someone.

There are several companies out there making machines.

7. Pro-Scapes

you gotta have a minimum for showing up or you would go out of business.

Your price seems fair really. I would do the lights myself obviously if I could get someone to pour the curbs with a groove in em for me.

I looked on the tygar website and couldnt find a list of installers... any suggestions ?

8. General Landscaping

Do a search (yahoo) and find out who the manufacturers are. You should be able to come up with 5-6 real easy. Call the mfr. and tell them your situation; ask if they have sold any machines in your area. Kwik Kerb and Lil Bubba come to mind.
    If nobody in your area is installing, maybe it's something to look into.

If you have someone do it for you, it's $2000; that will get you started on a machine purchase.

The machines are ridiculously expensive.... IMHO, they are selling biz opportunities, not equipment. For $5k, you get a machine that should sell for $5-6 hundred---max. Then you still need mixer, bed edger, heavy trailer, etc. to get started.

I got mine second hand with a mini-sodcutter and mixer (Kwik Kerb)for $1700; if it was not for running across that deal, I would have never bought one. I can't imagine having a 10k loan (or more) chasing me down for a biz without a solid track record.

I have been to the lil bubba facility, they have a open house every now and then in Orlando. Seem like good people and a sturdy machine. The Kwik Kerb machine is on the wimpy side and the people don't really care too much for me since I did'nt buy a new package or training.

9. Pro-Scapes

500 ft would cost me 2000 without the lights ? dang maybe i better look into a machine lol... wanna come do mine this winter ?