Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Summit L & D, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Summit L & D

Summit L & D LawnSite Senior Member

I know it has been discussed before, but I felt a need to dredge it up again. I'm getting sick and tired of seeing that green metal edging thrown in peoples landscapes. For the most part we do just a natural transition between the grass and the mulch, but lately we've had people asking for a definite edge.

I'm not looking to curbing as a business, but as an additional service we can do in house. What are your thoughts on the product as a whole, certain types of machines and the like? I have seen that there are companies that are offering "cable" units that install a cable into the it worth it?

Basically, I'm looking for any and all information. I know for a fact that I don't want to buy (new) into one of these companies snake-oil marketing and equipment plans. FWIW, we service a market that does not really know about this product.

(I posted this topic in the Commercial Lawn Mowing section by mistake. Mods: feel free to delete the other thread)
  2. BCFLawnLandscape

BCFLawnLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

We too are in a market that it is not very common to see curbing. We purchased used equipment from the curb depot. there is a forum on there much like this one where you can ask these same questions. I'd suggest signing up. We just started this year and are averaging 1-2 jobs per week with a profit of about 700-1k per job. It is a great business to make a profit with because your costs are so low, the problem we have had is getting people to actually understand what the product is. (because it is so new) alot of people think that it is concrete pieces that we carry in and stick together.
    If it is something that is not common in your area, take a stab at it. You'll never know unless you try. Who knows you could make a killing being one of the first companies in your area to offer it!

Hope this helps and Good Luck.
  3. h400exinfl

h400exinfl LawnSite Member
    from Florida

What do you guys charge per foot? Say for the basic undyed/unstamped, ... just laid down and joints cut? Down here the curbing is everywhere and I outsource the work, it's not hard to find someone for $3 - $4/ foot for the basic.