Curbs- best mower, best method?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Equipguy, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Equipguy

Equipguy LawnSite Senior Member

Here's the question: What's better for curb jumping a rider or walk behind and how is it done safely and quickly?:weightlifter:

2. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

get off your lazy backside and use a 21

3. Equipguy

Equipguy LawnSite Senior Member

The property in question is a HOA with 13 islands that vary from 115 to 400 feet long and vary from 3' to 15' wide. Lots of plantings and requires getting on and off the curbs seveal times. Somehow I don't think a 21" would get the job done.

4. wheels910

wheels910 LawnSite Member

try one of these. I just wheelie on the curb, set my height, and take off.

I only have two properties I have to use it on. both commercial.

bikeMower2.jpg

5. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

Depends on the size of the caster wheels and how high you can raise the deck. Unless your talking about some massive curbs.

When jumping up raise deck to max and go in reverse. The big tires go over easily. Hopefully you'll clear the deck and if the front casters are big enough the machine will pull them over also.

You can also have one of those mini ramps handy.

6. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

What in the heavens is that?

7. lawn dogg

lawn dogg LawnSite Member

i find it pretty easy to back up to the curb at an angle pop the right tire up on the curb then the left then do the same with the front wheels and do the same getting off the curb backwards, now thats with zrts.

8. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

my walker has a ramp that doubles as a foot rest, great idea

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I have built little ramps at all our commercial properties using the asphalt in a bag. In cases where we can't do that we carry 2x6 mounted on the mower so we can easily jump. On our ztr units I have a piece of wood with loop of rope and I throw it in place and pick it up with trash grabber. Walker is okay with the little plastic ramp but you have to carry it around...probably best of all worlds,.

10. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

ROFL:laugh: Nice! I outta get one of those. How does it stripe?:usflag: