1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Curbs with edger!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Feb 6, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay, I dont know if any of you guys have any suggestions but my partner and I are having a tough or difficult time using our mclane stationary edger around a residential home with curves..

we are going straight and all of a sudden when there is a curb that curves we tend to rip the whole dirt up!! We end up using a grass trimmer to cut around the curved curb!

Any of you guys have any tips or advice on how to edge using the stationary edger around a curb? How can one accomplish this method!
  2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Stick edger. Love my shindaiwa LE260.
  3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Yep like Nest said the easiest way is a stick edger.
    The Large pull or push type edgers are just too cumbersome to make a good line while following the curves, especially if they are dramatic curves.
    They do work well for beds and straight side walk areas that are really overgrown.
  4. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I use astick edger for everything. I worked on a gold course and they used a push Edger slow as can be. I could of edged 5 times to its 1 time.
  5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have a push edger and it is nice for sidwalks and gentle curves but i also do a restaurant that has a few islands and sharp curves and the stick edger is the way to go, and i got a cheap stick edger 1st time and it isnt very heavy duty, take my adviced and get a heavy duty one the 1st time , good luck
  6. Yard Perfect

Yard Perfect LawnSite Member

Stick me baby!!!!
  7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I lift the edger on the front wheels on gentle curves and use the handle that my power trim has mounted on the head of the engine on tight curves. If your edger does not have one[a handle that is] you could make one real easy it is just a L shaped handle mounted with two head bolts.
  8. Bond's Lawn Keepers

Bond's Lawn Keepers LawnSite Member

Get a stick edger, i once use one of those, then i found a stick edger, you want regret buying one
  9. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess I could use an extra stick edger then!

I never realized how quick you can kill the blade :)