CURBS

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TPC, Mar 12, 2000.

1. TPC

TPC LawnSite Member
    from florida

I am starting my first commercial jobs this coming week and they have a ton of regular curbs that are probably I dont know about 8&quot;<br>high....And I dont know how others get up them..I will be using a 60&quot; dixie and a 36&quot;<br>gravley walk behind....Please let me know<p>thanks

2. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

I have found the best way is to back over them, if not a pair of ramp planks, but that gets old quick.<br>

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Before I take on new customer, I check that there is total access to the property. If I can't use a ZTR I won't cut it. Carrying ramps or planks around is going to get old fast. I actually took down a 8' section of stockade to gain access to a yard. I then put it back using screws instead of nails. Then used a screw gun to take it off weekly. P.S.- no one lived at the house.

4. Take two wooden chocks screw in eye screws<br>into the sides then attach togeather with trimmer line.<p>Hang the chocks around the gas take of your<br>walk behind.

5. Lee Homan

Lee Homan LawnSite Member

If possible, back your trailer up to curb and drop the gate onto the curb and ride off. This is what I have to do with one of my accounts.

6. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

Actually when I need to get up over a curb with a WB I just take it at a 45 degree angle. Pop up the front end by pushing down on the handles and go up one back wheel at a time. If you're going to be dealing with a curbed site all the time and can't back over it with your sit-down then perhaps build up a little gravel run in an unobtrusive spot. Doesn't take much of a mound - most curbs can be negotiated without any artificial help anyhow with a ZTR.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>

7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I use a 2x8 as long as my mower is wide with a 2x4 screwed on top both even on one edge.I carry it on the front of the mower to the curb, place it against the curb and back up onto the lawn. When I finish I drive down pick it up and go to the next one. Cheap+simple for a ZTR.

8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Gene, Walker sells a plastic curb jumper that doubles as a angled footrest on your deck. You might want to check it out.

9. TPC

TPC LawnSite Member
    from florida

THANKS I think I got it now....This forum is awesome I just found it saturday and works very well..........<br>

10. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

canto: Thanks, I seen the unit.I made special foot rests for my mower soon after I bought it for better foot positioning when on steep slopes.