Curbs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jhawk71, May 26, 2002.

1. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

I just bought a new scag 36" and i am haveing trouble with curb either i leave some uncut or i will scalp and start digging into the ground. Help Please.

2. Explain more.

What is the problem?

3. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

See i live on a hill and like to make angle cuts, so i will go up the curb onto the grass and either pull up the front and leave some grass uncut or dont lift up the front and scalp. i think it is because 1 wheel will be in the grass while the other wheel will be still in the curb i think. Hope that helps
    Jhawk71

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Just don't know what in the heck you are trying to explain, and why?

Please elaborate.

5. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have any problems getting over curbs, but in 14ys ive yet to have my blades on when doing this! Please elaborate on what this is your doing and why. Marks Mowing Service

6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Don't let the tire go onto the crub. I think you are saying it is mowing the grass uneven, if so it is caused by the tires going either onto the crub or in a sunken area.

7. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

ok i just got a new w/b belt drive. And whenever i go over the curbs i scalp or leave some uncut. 1 of u said turn ur blades off while going over the curb, but wouldnt you miss a strip along the curb. Also 1 of you said to not go in the curb again wouldnt you miss some grass. i hope that helped. I just dont know how to explain.

8. Don't drive it off the curb on to the street.

Make a parimature pass cut before you mow the grass.

Turn around on the grass and don't drive off the curb.

This will solve your problem!!!

9. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Are you serious?

Take your mower and walk around the outside edge of your lawn, now that you have finsihed doing that the area around the edged will be mowed. Now, mow normally without going off the curbs (turn around in the grass), when you are complete it will be even.

10. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

make TWO perimeter passes around the property (assuming there is a curb and no sidewalk here...) to give yourself some turn around area for each pass back and forth. if it's between a sidewalk and curb just run parallel to the curb and cut, shouldn't take but a pass in each direction.

is that what you were wanting to know?

my parents yard has a pretty sharp hill on it that always causes me to scalp it near the sidewalk. i found that keeping all four tires on the grass (not two on the walk) prevents this. much easier to do with a hydro i found...