Curios Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by monkey9197, Mar 18, 2004.

1. monkey9197

monkey9197 LawnSite Member
    from NY

HOW MANY PEOPLE WHO OWN THERE OWN COMPANIES THAT ACTUALLY GO OUT AND DO MANUAL LABOR AND MAKE MORE MONEY OR TAKE A LITTLE SACRIFICE IN CASH AND SIT ON YOUR ASS OR WORK ANOTHER JOB?

2. LHlandscaping

LHlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from PA/ SW

I am trying as hard as possible to break through the barrier of self-employment into business ownership on a daily basis. Too many people around here will work their guts out for next to nothing for me to do it much longer. It all depends on your long term goals and more importantly your marketplace.

3. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Turn off your damn caps, an we'll talk........

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I tried last year of only working out in the field 20 hrs and the rest back at the office, bad idea. Look at me now, I am back to the solo operation.

5. Camelot Gardens Uk

Camelot Gardens Uk LawnSite Member

There has been much discussion on how to "enlarge" your company whilst making it more profitable also the "break even" point to come off the road. For myself last year we grew to myself and 3 men, any more and I would have had to come off the road to "manage" it and have to search for more work to keep them and myself.

I had all the comments that it's not the same as when you do it etc. For the life of me I cound not tell the difference between me and the crew (which is good),

This year it's me and a young helper..

6. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

OK monkey.......... Its a matter of how much control you have over the company...

Sure you can send crews out to do the maintainence, but the next day when your gettin calls about he missed that, an he tore this up, ya gotta ask yourself this question. Is this working?

I was in this position myself. I had 2 crews out cutting. My credibility went right down the drain. Noone is going to take care of your customers the way you will.

I backtracked, an decided to do it myself. I was on top of all my accounts now, had one helper, an things were going smooth.

I had to downsize a little, but I am in control, an makin alot more money......