curiosiity got the better of me

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by 1idejim, Oct 27, 2010.

1. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

I love electronics.

Woo hoo jim! way to go on exploring .
    Soldering microboards is extremely hard, looks like you do have a little room their. I say go for it and best of luck!

2. mitchgo

This is my little project tonight.

My main monitor went out on me. I can turn it on, it displays the window for a few seconds and then goes black.
    I first thought my power cord converter went out on me. So I ordered up a new one for like $12 . I still have the same issue.

I purchased this Monitor Just under a year ago for about $170 , funny thing is the monitor I'm on now I bought 8 years ago for almost for $900 and this flat screen is still kickin fine.

In any case I now believe the capacitor has gone out (Upper left guy on the circuitry pic) So I purchased one off amazon and I will solder a new one on. IF it doesn't work I'll be out about $20 , but hey it's a fun project

DSC_0691.jpg

DSC_0693.jpg

3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

well after seeing you repair your 521 i had to suck it up and give her a shot, i wasn't going to solder it myself and then i found out i'd have to drive 30 miles and spend $30, i can buy an antenna for $75 on ebay.

well, i only see half as well as i did at 17 and my depth perception is non existent within 3' so i gave her hell. had to solder 1 connection 2 times but i had no globs and it bent back in shape so i said sweet and put it together.

it worked good, it started raining as i was testing and one of pups ran off with the antenna lead so that took awhile to get back, my life is a circus and i'm the head clown.

do you know how to test a capacitor? it takes an analog ohm meter and a minute to test is all.

luck to you also

4. Buck_wheat

Buck_wheat LawnSite Senior Member

Ohhh you guys are going to make good husbands fixing all that stuff :)

Honey do list; subsection C Paragraph 112 line 2,346,712 Item; Repair dish washer

etc.
    etc.

No really cool you can do that stuff. I pulled the battery wire off my StationMaster Pro and was so flummoxed I bought a new one... you guys would fix it in the blink of an eye.

Buckwheat has big hands, thick fingers and arthritis (not to mention DT's after 3:30PM) and maybe too much money. :drinkup:

5. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

Nice job, Jim!
    I'll also be interested to know how the decoder locates work out.

And Happy Birthday, Peter! :bday:

6. mitchgo

I Don't , I never have tried.
    We just so happen to have a analog ohm meter in the garage :)

7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

from what i have gathered a capacitor is similar to a battery and should show a spike and drain, if it doesn't show a spike then drain slowly it's bad.

here are a couple of links that explain the whole process and the different types of capacitors. the first link is an electronics forum you might use;

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/captest.htm

http://www.applianceaid.com/micro4.html

http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/Testing_caps.html

8. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

do you always have to make fun of me only having one eye? i do :laugh:

try taping the probes to your big fat fingers and drink less, just more often :drinkup:

you could always send the stationmaster to mitch or me and we'll fix both the stationmaster and your abundance of money. :waving:

btw, hope the little woman's doing well

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: