Curiosity is killing me. What is so special about a walker?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProStreetCamaro, Sep 28, 2012.

1. precision8m

precision8m LawnSite Senior Member

Reel mower does have a better cut. Left that out. If you haven't used one and become comfortable with one it will be hard to be objective about their usefulness. Use your Z and buzz through, fine w. me. I'll keep both and use walker to impress.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I see a ton of walkers around here, but I can't justify the cost for the lost productivity, I'll stick with my standers for now. Seems to be a image thing more than anything, lot of money just for an image.

3. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

is a reel mower a real mower?

4. BPS##

BPS## LawnSite Senior Member
    from WY

Opinion?? Not really, I'm speaking from personal experience.

Unlike you I've owned several over the years.
    The view on the stripes.......... well that could be a matter of opinion.
    One thing for certain I get NO complaints from any of my customers on the way the stripes look. Matter of fact I get a lot of compliments.

5. precision8m

precision8m LawnSite Senior Member

That image thing helps charge more. But that's not why I have them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. BPS##

from WY

Again comments from the uninitiated. Walkers shine on the small yards because they are so nimble.

Hills suck for most mowers. Even my 60'' mid mount had a hill mowing learning curve.
    Its hill mowing ability was greatly improved with a set of aggressive tires.
    A walker would be no different.

As for the handles.....no.
    They are adjustable.
    Its a natural position with your left arm resting across your left leg with your hand on the control levers.
    I find the amount of movement required to control the mid mount to be far more tiring than the small amount of movement required to control the walker.

7. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

REEL...
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. BPS##

from WY

I find it comical that the walker haters keep stirring the pot over a machine they feel is inferior but apparently truth be told they feel threatened by it.
    Why else would they be so adamant that the machine SUCKS?????

9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

My customers wouldn't know a Walker from a Toro.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Nobody said the machine sucks...at least I didn't. I think most feel that there is no justification to spending the extra money on one when most other commercial units will leave a great cut. Like I said before, we don't bag here, reason #1 why I would never own a Walker. Sports turf is cut and scalped with reels. Reason #2 I will never own a Walker. I can cut a small yard with my 36" Wright faster than anyone can with a Walker, leave a great cut, and not have spent all that extra money on a machine many feel is a status symbol...just my opinion.
    Posted via Mobile Device