1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Curiosity is killing me. What is so special about a walker?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProStreetCamaro, Sep 28, 2012.

1. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I don't see how a certain mower put's you in a higher priced market, I work in some of the high end area's around here, ( Thornblade, Chanticleer) with my stand on and no one takes a second notice to the type of mower I use, nor did they ask when I was interviewing for the job. As long as I was insured, and delivered the quality of work they were after they could care less what type of mower I was using.
  2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

A reel mower will put you in a higher priced market, but I agree...a rotary mower whether it be a Walker or a Toro is still a rotary mower.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. I laugh every time I read this from people on here. "I'm gonna get all this new work with my walker." I have done of the wealthiest clients in this country, and they don't even know or care what type of mower I have or use.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

High priced maintenance nightmares. I had one and really don't miss it. There isn't anything it can do that a properly set up ztr can't. Productivity is no match for ztr. When they start wearing out they become frustrating to use. Wait until something breaks and you get the parts prices alone nevermind the labor charges.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Come with me for a day and I will prove you wrong on the ztr theory. Productivity is relative to the property you are doing. If you were doing a 350 year old cemetery which wasn't designed for commercial mowers, the average space between stones was 48" and the whole property had to be bagged, would you stand by your statement? Every mower has a place, for what we do NO mower has matched a Walker, we have z's, have demoed standers and other types of mowers. I don't believe it is a superior to everything mower but for people who need the pros the Walker has to offer there is no equal IMHO.
  6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Could you pigeon hole a purpose for a Walker any more. Bagging is a small enough demographic almost non existant here. As for a 350 year old cemetary then you have a unique situation that needs a special purpose solution. High volume residential and majority commercial benefit from the compact, high speed characteristics of ztr's.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. precision8m

precision8m LawnSite Senior Member

Haters. Keep your inexperienced opinions to yourself.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. leon2245

leon2245 LawnSite Member

Posted by PRECISION8m.

'nuff said.
  9. Don't most ztrs make large baggers anyways? NOBODY bags here and I've never had a customer request it.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. precision8m

precision8m LawnSite Senior Member

Where we are, most people want their lawns to be bagged. Its basically assumed that you will be doing that.

The original post subject was someone asking if a Walker was worth it. If you haven't owned one for more than 7 days, then you probably don't have much useful info to add. If you had one and didnt like it, then your input on this post would be useful to the person asking. Bickering over your personal opinion is useless.