Curious about Brown Patch w/ organic

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Pistol, Mar 14, 2009.

1. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Kiril, that is a nice graphic, but it won't wash. The eastern third of that map gets way to MUCH natural rain to promote quality buffalo grass. Even NE TX is going to be marginal and above the 24" of natural rainfall. Also, the further north you get, the longer that dormant season gets and the more trouble you may have with invasive weeds. Start a line through the middle of KS and move south. Move the Eastern edge of the zone west to eliminate MO and AR and your on to something. I don't think where I am, here in NW NM gets hot enough to get the summer growth. My season isn't long enough for bermuda, even the newer varieties either.

I've seen some really nice results in SW KS with the newer varieties of seed propagated bermudas too. They have "better" color than buffalo and while they need slightly more water, they are a much better choice than KBG or TTF.

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

The graphic is a link back to the USDA page for Buffalo grass ( Bouteloua dactyloides (Nutt.) J.T. Columbus ).
    That particular graphic shows where it is native.

3. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

This rainfall map might help. Only the light green section down the middle is going to be low enough on natural rainfall to not hurt the buffalo grass. The darker green/brown to the west of that band is only a little bit short of what I would like to have for buffalo grass, and might actually be easier to manage. Adding a little bit here or there is much easier than having to much water.

4. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Still......a hearty chunk of real estate.

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

If we got the ground level to the point of doing 1" mowing ... we could play croquet anytime. :laugh: