Curious about compost tea results

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Neal Wolbert, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

Would appreciate your views on the results of compost tea applications on turf and/or ornamentals. Neal

2. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Neal, these are things I've noticed over time,I used to collect seaweed at the beach after a storm, rinse it, dry-it, grind-it, & than spray it on hemlocks for spider mites [ it worked for me].....Compost tea from leaf-mold / wood chips [ mostly oak & maple], very good disease suppression for leaf spot & fursurim [ not spelled rite] on my lawns [ also aerated tea mix 24hrs prior to application], also good as a summer application, knocked up with a little epson salts[ for greening] on lawns,......any specific questions?...I've had test plots at a local botanical gardens for several years[ in their promotion of the use of organics for the industry]....regards Saxon :)

3. Neal Wolbert

Thanks Saxon, Wonder if you know of any University studies on tea? I can't seem to find any scientists (payed a salary) who endorse tea in any way. Neal

4. nocutting

Hi Neal, try lookin at the "Rodale Press", I'm sure they have a "Geek in a White Jacket" some where over there?....Gotta remember theres not gonna be to much scientific data as all of the major hort / arbor / ag colleges are funded by the big chemical companies?...Funny isnt it...... payup payup payup ,lol,lol,lol....Hey Neal, try doin a soil drench on some roses, see if you can see a differance?

5. Neal Wolbert

Saxon, No info. @ Rodale, at least not in Organic Gardening. The "geek" proof is important to me. When I mentioned a Univ. study by someone receiving a salary, I meant someone who was not being funded by a company, like Rodale for instance, but who was doing unbiased research. Since tea is an ever changing substance, real science may never be available and I understand that. However, like I said, I haven't found Univ. studies yet to support any tea effectiveness, let alone endorse the concept. That is a bit troublesome to me. Neal

6. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

7. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

This is a quote from another forum

And another quote from SoilHumis

The last person quoted is considered by many the foremost athuority on soil sicence and organics in the U.S. And is the original author of the Soil Food Web.

8. SuperLawn

SuperLawn LawnSite Member

9. SuperLawn

SuperLawn LawnSite Member

10. nocutting

Hey Neal, try puttin "Compost tea studies" in your search I did this on yahoo, I got some similar Research to my own[ wink, wink,] at the WSU co-operative extension, after this I'd try "Dogpile" or "Google", good luck, hope you find what you arelookin for?- regards Saxon