1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Curious about Timber Ax/Carbide cutters, ect...

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Stroker, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Stroker

Stroker LawnSite Member

Just wondering roughly how much these units cost. What manufacturer you might reccomend. Does anybody own one? If so, do you find it easy to market this method vs. just bull dozing the area.

The loftness site has a nice video on it for the Timber Ax.

Here is a direct like to view the video..
  2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I have priced some from 25K and up. the Loftness machine is much more reasonable at around 12K (don't quote me exactly). These take high flow machines to run and especially the Brown Bear type cutters. You'll need a high horse power, high hydrualic HP, machine. The Loftness machine does not require as much flow. Loftness has an excellent list of skid steers with their actual hydrualic horsepower ratings as tested not manufacturer rated. The 95XT is the highest rated machine and the machine they used to prototype their cutter. Much easier to market one of these I would think (I have not bought one but have been considering one) than a dozer. The environmental issues with removing grass and timber down to bare ground is not cool. The erosion issues and the problem of what to do with the grub make it a nonviable method. There are guys making big money with these machines if you can make the right contacts.
  3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Around here I think that machine would make a TON of money. The U.S. Forest Service conracts private contractors to come in and remove small trees/vegetation for fire suppresion. Lately they've been using hand crews cutting trees and excavators to pile slash for burn. The only disadavantage a skid steer with such an attachment might encounter vs. an excavator is the ability to handle slopes, I'll take an excavator WAY more places than a top heavy skid steer.
  4. Stroker

Stroker LawnSite Member

Had a long conversation with a Loftness rep this morning. Was very pleased with all I heard. However, with these bad boys pushing $20,000, thats alot of investment for just an attachment. No doubt not any kind of over night decision. The sales person I spoke with is mailing me a bunch of information. Then the next step will be meeting with one of their reps in the area for a demo.
  5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Another thing to consider you can't use the attachment where you have rocks mixed into the bush you are mowing down. For that kind of money you would need allot of jobs to pay for itself. For 20 grand you could buy a used bulldozer that can rip the growth out roots and all and it never grows back.
  6. Stroker

Stroker LawnSite Member

I think the point of the timber ax is not to be the typical land clearing. Instead this offers no erosion issues, no burning, no expensive dump truck fees. I could see this potentialy having a market where people are trying to clear thick areas simply for "curb appeal".