curious of your design

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by spray-head-dave, Mar 13, 2003.

1. spray-head-dave

spray-head-dave LawnSite Member

I have an area that is 55 X 42 rectangle; whats the best layout? My static pressure is 80 psi, with a 3/4 service line and 5/8 meter. What brand of heads would you use? I wanted to try the TORO with the Multi spray, but other brands are ok.:rolleyes:

2. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

I am a huge fan of Toro and Irritrol but if there is one thing that I could pick on Toro about is the Multi stream head. It Looks nice running but does a terrible job of giving a nice water distribution.

Other than that, the type of rotary head that you choose will not matter much. Let's face it, they all spray water out of a precisley sized hole and turn, some have a few more bells and whistles and some have a better warranty but at the end of the day what matters most is the design of the system. You can have the best, most expensive rotary head on the market and it can still produce terrible results if the system is not designed properly.

I would use 9 Irritrol CR500 rotary heads top water this area.
    Some may say that you could get by with 6 but I like to have every head at least double if not tripple covered.
    I would put this on 3 zones with the 90 degree heads on a 2.0 nozzle and the 180 degree heads using a 4.0 nozzle.

The heads in the center of the property would use a 2.0 for the 180 degree heads and a 4.o for the single 360 degree head.
    This zone would be set to run twice as long as the 2 other zones.

If I have confused you, the design would look like this:

X X X

X X X

X X X

3. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Mikes design using Hunter I20's with LA proportional nozzles

4. spray-head-dave

spray-head-dave LawnSite Member

I've heard that before about the toro heads, I usaully use Nelson, which doesn't seem to be used very much according to this forum. I never hear the Nelson name mentioned, any reason?

5. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

my design:

a b a
    c d c
    a b a

nozzle a set for 29', 2.0 gpm
    nozzle b set for 28', 3.8 gpm
    nozzle c set for 22', 2.3 gpm
    nozzle d set for 22', 4.6 gpm

total area 24.8 gpm, 2 zones about 12.5 gpm each

6. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

DAve,
    Don't get me wrong. It's just the Toro Stream Rotor ( 340 Series head) That I don't care much for. All of the Other Toro Rotary heads do a GREAT job.

7. navyman

navyman LawnSite Member

i'm a Nelson user and why not they have been in business the longest, I believe, and they have a great product and I have tried nearly all of the others, they just are not promoting like they should be and I have complained about that, they need me on their sales staff. ha ha.