curious

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Clint, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Clint

Clint LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I was looking very thoughorly at the exmark brochure at the metro, and metro HP with the 36" deck.. I saw that they are very similar and the metro even might have a few things better than the HP ( lower cutting height, in smaller increments, and the blade spindles are a little thicker [is that better?] ) but the hp has floating deck. I also saw that you could get the 16" drive tires on the metro, is that true? and also, money is a big factor here, so would it really be worth it to get the floating deck or just save some money and go with the fixed?

gimme some opinions on metro vs metro HP, and what you would prefer

Thanks,
    Clint

2. I figure I can use a fixed deck where a floating deck would be better.
    Places like a small lawn with a lot of contours.
    I can get away with a little scalping or gouging if I keep a good pattern to my cut.

But I can't use a floation deck where a fixed deck mower was needed.
    It could tear up the mower or just not be able to do the job.
    Places like mowing a rough ditch or cutting brushy areas.

Most of my walk behind work falls into the second catagory.
    So I use a 36" fixed deck.

Dave

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I would think the narrower the deck the less you would need a floating deck.

I run a 48 fixed and my scalping problems usually result rom a front wheel dropping into an unseen hole in the grass. I don't know if a floater would be that much better under this particular condition.

GEO

4. Trying to save money could be your demize.

Buy the correct too for the job, money should be the last factor in buying a peice of equipment.

My suggestion would be since you are asking whether float or fixed, I would go with the floating.

And it is not that much more, plus you get a few options more than just the floating deck.

5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

LGF's right. Just walk into your backyard and pluck whatever you need off the money tree!

Now back to reality..... Buy the best you can AFFORD without going broke. However, I agree with geo that a floating deck probably isn't as important on a 36" mower as it would be on a larger one. I use a 36" fixed deck.