Curious

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Dec 3, 2000.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Something we've been curious about. I know in the past posts have been made about working status like fulltime or parttime.

But we're wondering how many members out there only use the lawn business as their ONLY income. That means that your wife doesn't have an outside job, and you don't have a part time job on the side.

And we're not talking about high school kids or single guys that live at home with their parents.

Who out there actually supports a family, has a mortage, car payments, life insurance, retirement plan, the whole nine yards on just the lawn care business????

We do, BUT we do not have the best equipment. It is only now that we are going to be able to upgrade, and to us, it is a very important decision what to buy.

We see people on here that have tons of equipment that have a lot less accounts than we have, and we're wondering how they do it, and if they are totally supported just by lawn care.

Jodi

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Jodi,
    I don't but a friend, the guy who helped me get started does. He has 5 kids, all in christian school at our church, drives a Lexus SUV, has a $250,000 + home on 2 acres, and his wife stays at home. He is high $$ and does a superior job.

He bills monthly for basic mowing, edging, trimming, and blowing. EVERYTHING else is extra $$, has all of his customers in a 7-8 mile area in the best part of town. He has 2 employees.

I want to grow up to be like him one day! I have learned a lot from him and he has been willing to share with me.

Ray

3. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like me, no not the $250,000 home part but the first post. My wife daughter and I are supported by my business. No part time jobs. I was lucky because the first year my wife had a good job and we could afford for me to buy some good equipment. It isn't easy but I certainly am making more than I ever would working for the man.

4. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

We are totally supported by the business. I have a wife and two kids (potential employees) that my business supports. Every year we make a little more. It is something that takes time to build. It would be nice if my wife worked so we could build the business faster but it is great to have her home raising the kids instead of a babysitter.

5. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

My business supports my wife, 2 kids and myself. We have no other income. We have been in business for nine years and I have been married for a little over five years.

I had the opportunity to buy good equipment before my mortgage, truck payments, etc...

It is really tough to make enough to live, vacation, and pay bills. BUT, God has really blessed with good customers and always provided money for the lean times.

6. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

100% supported by my biz.

7. jay

jay LawnSite Member

8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Ditto the last 2 posts. The business totally supports my wife, 3 kids, 3 dogs, 4 cats. We aren't rich by any stretch, at least not monetarily, but we get by. I have around 70 accounts which drops to around 50 through the winter. The first winter was pretty tough but after that we have managed.

What kind of equipment are you running?
    How many acounts do you have?

Thank you Jesus!

Homer

9. cbuck

cbuck LawnSite Member

I'm proud to say my biz supports 3 kids a wonderful wife and myself. we just had our third baby in oct. I won't lie this summer was really stressful.I'm a one man show and worked my butt off so my kids can have what they need.but hard work is rewarded with a little money left to buy a new Exmark. oh by the all 3 boys so can't what till i can put them behind a mower.

10. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Good Job Ladies and Gents... I applaud you all and hope I can be in your shoes one day, but I'm still working for the Man!! :)

Keep up the good work