1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

current lighting job

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by BrandonV, Jan 14, 2009.

1. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

well as you may know I'm not a full time lighting guy, but my company does everything, and we like to think we do everything well. thought I'd share some pics of my current job. been at it all week but so far I've only taken one photo. I'll take some more tomorrow night if I don't freeze first. lighting is much less active than my typical day and I'll tell you it gets chilly.

the only pic for today is one of the 3 transformers, we went with cast's master series 1500W. never used them before, but so far I've loved working with them, I've only used hadco, and alliance in the past. the lights are alliance brand, my client selected them after looking into cast, unique and kichler. so far we've installed 103 lights, most are downlights up in the trees. which as yall know ain't no fun in 30˚ weather w/ wind off a lake.

anyways sorry for the teaser thread, had nothing to do and thought I'd get the thread started a day early, while the wife watches her cantonese soap operas... which I wouldn't understand even if I wanted to watch.

photo-2.jpg

2. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Well Brandon, let me tell you.... 30˚F is not all that cold my friend. Last night it was -35˚ here... and tonight we are expecting it to get a bit colder! Be thankful that you can still be out there doing your job! :)

Have a great day.

3. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Hey Brandon,
    Good start, I look forward to seeing your pics. I like how you label the individual runs with the labeler. Nice touch.

4. LightYourNight

LightYourNight LawnSite Member

Ya awesome idea with the labeler! I've always used 3m number wire markers in the red dispenser. The labeler is much easy to understand. Mind if I borrow your method? :clapping:

5. LightYourNight

more 10g wire = small voltage taps... pros cons?

6. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

feel free, we use it extensively w/ irrigation systems so its handy. I used pretty much all 10g wire on this job except for 1 run of 8 and 2 so far of 12

7. LightYourNight

oh sorry. that wire looked like 12. you must have long runs with lots of wattage.

8. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

Man, those 1500 watt trans seem to crowded quick. I'd love to land on a 100 fixture plus job right about now. good luck !

9. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Yeh thats what i need... hell id even take a 50 light job! Yet others who dont even do lighting full time are geting them...:realmad:

Hurry up with the rest of the pics.

10. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

Oh,easily, it is the folks that do other stuff who get most of the lighting jobs.

I would guess that there will be 350 low voltage "professional" lighting jobs done in my area this year, and 90% will be done by landscapers and landscape architects that also do trees, lawns, shrubs, etc. They are simply in front of the customer more so they get hired.

Sad to say, at least in my area, this also leads to 90% of the jobs being just decent to very poor.