Current pics of the mall lawn in DC?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Barefoot James, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

Does ANYBODY have some current pics of the mall lawn in DC that looked great this spring - but how did it hold upover the summer? Did they reseed this fall? If so, is it roped off right now - and if it has been reseeded and is roped off I'm sure it is perfect again so how did it look before this falls reseed - ANY PICS????:usflag:

2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

someone called into the office that had visited the mall recently and said it did not look so good, a little better than the other panels but not so hot. I don't know if safelawns is keeping up with the site or not, apparently not.

It is a 3 year program so it will not be renovated again until fall 2010. I hear everyone moved the soccer games over to that panel becuse it was in such nice shape, lots of compaction from the constant use.

That is the issue with all of the mall, compaction. Lots and lots of people play and walk all over it every day. The panel that was done organically had tanks and missle launchers on it right before the renovation, but that kind of thing is on there all of the time. There was a couple of concerts there this summer and plywood was left on the ground for over 2 weeks. It is almost an impossible place to grow grass

I'll see if I can get down there next week

3. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know which panel is which. Maybe bill can help with that, but, to me it seemed like six panels , the layout was three and three, the middle panel was obviously abused. All were compacted but the middle two panels looked the worst by far.

P1010866.JPG

P1010875.JPG

P1010871.JPG

4. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

wow, after all that hype, looks like a refurb at this point.

5. Prolawnservice

These are the panels to the right if you facing the washington monument.

P1010869.JPG

P1010870.JPG

P1010877.JPG

6. Prolawnservice

Last two panels, these of course were to the left of the monument, closest to the air and space museum. In the last pic you can see the stone pathway that separated all the panels I took most of the pics from that middle pathway.

P1010872.JPG

P1010873.JPG

P1010874.JPG

7. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

Its the top pitcher it would be the middle panel off 7th st in front of air and space. believe me the photo that was put on here made it look good but it wasnt most of the grass was poa.they watered it with a hydro seeder a lot of wash. and once they take the fence down the traffic is over whelming

Charles Cue

8. Barefoot James

The panels are the first three in front of the capital building - the pics on this site are not those panels.

9. Prolawnservice

They are pics of all six panels, safelawns told me it was the panels behind the air and space building that is where these photos were taken. The grass directly in front of the capital building is not separated into panels its one piece of lawn. Safelawns also told me it had been abused and was trashed which would also lead me to believe the panels I photoed were correct. The lady I spoke to even described the grass pattern where there was a tarp placed on either side of the panel with only a path of green grass left that was between them, you can clearly see this in the first pic.

10. Barefoot James

MY Bad.

I guess the capital building is closer than it looks?

When were these photo's taken. Thanks so much for shareing.