Current trends in the market

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Insometry, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Insometry

Insometry LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Hey! Been doing lawncare part time since I was thirteen. Up to 3 days a week of business. Got a couple Xmarks (one rider and one walkbehind) a stander and 2 weedeaters and a blower. (all stihl)

Working on a business plan. The question I have for anyone and everyone on here: Do you have any links or resources in which I can find current market trends for my business plan? News articles or money articles talking about the demand for lawncare and its current trend? Basically I want to get a good analysis on the outside enviroment - and I think anyone that has a current business plan wouldn't mind updating this aspect of it as well.

So lets band together and see what we can come up with. Anything will do - any studies, market research - ect...

The only thing I have come up with is TruGreen reporting another 5% increase...

lol...

But I just started looking.

Feel free to ask any questions if you dont understand what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

2. Insometry

Insometry LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

So honestly - am I barking up the wrong tree?

No market trends? No studies about money brackets and who gets this?

Is it all localized then?

Come on...I cant believe there is nothing out there.

*cries*

(I cant find anything however...)

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Go to some trade magazines web sites and do a search on article archives.

4. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

The reason there is no definable market trend is due to the primary differences in two things.

#1 Demographics and
    #2 Customer service

This type of work is heavily dependent upon these two factors, obviously there has to be a demographic to support YOUR business plan. Couple this with customer service and your business plan may be an economically viable proposal.

The question you are posing has no real worth as you do not define the market segment you are positioning your business plan to operate in.

Simply saying you have been involved in similar work since you were thirteen also does not address your customer service plan either.

Identify the market segment you are trying to position for, then query this forum with the appropriate data. Additionally, with out more specific details on your background, primarily education and current socioeconomic status, you may be aiming for a market segment you do not have the marketable skills to base a viable business plan upon.