1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Curtis Plows- What do you think?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by plowguy06, Jan 12, 2001.

1. plowguy06

plowguy06 LawnSite Member

I am a non-buyer, but I am interested in the various brands and models of plows. Anyway, I recently received a video and brochure from Curtis about their hitch and run plows. I just wanted to know if anyone has one and what they think of them. Thanks
  2. Dusty

Dusty LawnSite Member

I saw the prototype being manufactured at the machine shop outside of Worcester MA and I was impressed with the way it was designed. Don't know if that was the final design, but it was well engineered and built.
  3. dtm

dtm LawnSite Member

I have been using a curtis for three years now and no proplems so far. the plow is heavy-duty and you will need at least a one ton truck. the hook up is as easy as a western.
  4. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen the Curtis plows and always woundered how the hydraulics stay in the fram so low to the ground.For example is it easy to change the fluid,does snow and ice get built up on them.I would love to see that video on them in action.
  5. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I have them on my New Holland tractos. However no truck mounted curtis plows. The work ok but not the best choice out there. The have some products that they are one of the only companies building.

6. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

I saw a demo of one at the Lawn Site BBQ back in Sept. at nysnowpros (John Parker's) place. Obviously it wasn't plowing. I just got to check out the design, and see how quickly it can be hitched and unhitched from the truck. It hooked up really fast. The hydraulics were fast. I like the bracing on the back of the moldboard. It seems like a VERY heavy duty, well built unit. I didn't like the idea of the hydraulics being so low to the ground, but the plow itself seems strong. That's all I know.

7. PAPlow

PAPlow LawnSite Member

A friend of mine recently purchased the 9' plow. So far so good. Nice design...very heavy duty construction. Easier on & off than my Meyers.
  8. plowguy06

plowguy06 LawnSite Member

9. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i saw a guy who plows a driveway across the street with a brand new f 350 dump with a curtis on it. three storms later he had a fischer on it. we asked him what happened to the curtis and he said he sheared it right off the truck. said it was junk. this could just be his opinion but i thought id pass it along
  10. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

My guess would be a botched install, or rough operator. The only time I have seen a plow mount fall off the truck is when one or both of these things happened.