curtis snowplows

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Mike Plow, Mar 14, 2000.

1. Mike Plow

Mike Plow LawnSite Member

any body out there using curtis snowplows<br>with the hitch and run system.need input<br>from the field any problems and comments

2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I don't own a curtis nor do i know anyone that does. So what i am going to tell you is from my mind set.<p>Ok i put a Curtis plow on the same level as a meyer. Full blade trip, weak frame ( just read the post ), but a good mounting system. If you want to see how i would rate plows look below.<p>This is for construction and design of the blade only, doesn't include mounting systems.<p>1 Diamond and Fisher <br>2 Western <br>3 Boss<br>4 Hinker I think that's spelled right<br>5. Meyer and Curtis <p>I think western builds one of the best full trip blades. Only i am believer in the trip edge style blade, and also believe they are built stronger but weigh more ( so have the truck to take the weight).<p>I know it isn't exactly what ya asked for, but maybe it helps.<p>PS do ya own the blade yet or just looking around?<p>Geoff

3. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

We don't have a curtis, but the dealer we got our Meyer from in our area decided to carry curtis for the first time this year. He probably will drop their line next year. We were in getting our crappy old E-47 worked on...again, and one of his guys said they'd had 3 brand new curtis' in with problems. He didn't go into detail (and we were in a hurry anyway) but he inferred that they were major structural problems. Sorry I can't give you any details cause I didn't press him any further. <p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>

4. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought Curtis' were designed fairly well. They're quite popular around here.<p>As far as Meyers, I guess it's which one you use. When we plowed with Meyers, we bought M9 municipal models and cut them down to 8'. They were tough.<p>There isn't any pick-up mounted plow I've ever seen that would take the abuse a Boss straight blade would.<p>Every Western from Pro-plow on down we'd make into scrap in 2 years.<p>I can't speak for hydraulics of the different plows, all our trucks have custom clutch-pump hydraulics.

5. DaveO

DaveO LawnSite Member

The contractor who plows my street bought a new Curtis this year. He stopped by last storm to show me it. Was mounted on a new GMC. He loved the mounting system, couldn't praise it enough, he has had many different types over the years. He is getting on in age, and appreciates the easy hookup. <p>I looked it over quick. The blade looks solid enough. Plenty of ribs. I'm not sold on their &quot;hideaway&quot; hydro setup yet, don't like how low it is located. The controls looked Ok, and the hydraulics were fast. I just don't think the system is as strong as my old Fisher setup, it's not as heavy either. Have to wait a couple of years to see how it holds up for him....<p>Dave

6. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Well I have seen the curtis and it looks good.However I have never used one, so I would not give an opinion either way. I find it better to say nothing when I havent used a product, than to surmise what I think and be wrong.<br>I have a meyer husky 8' and it is very stout. I have it mounted to a conventional (old) style fisher frame system. I have another driver in this truck and liked the idea of a full trip design, rather than a bottom trip. Let the plow take the abuse not the truck. I also have found that full trip plows throw and scrape better than a fisher bottom trip. I have never used a diamond, so I wont surmise how they throw snow or scrape. But I am sure that Geoff will say it does great, he should write their marketing. Geoff are you sure you dont own the company,or at least stock in it.<br>The curtis does have a very wide push frame to moldboard attachment,so the a frame is pushing along a wide area of the moldboard.<br>And the attachment system is slick.<br>I am wary of changing brands tho, we have 3 westerns now, and the benifits of one brand of plow is very high.<br>I am not saying that western is the best, but we like them, and the parts inventory is lower.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

7. GeoffDiamond

from Maine

I don't own Diamond or any of there stock. The thing about Diamond is that you can set the blades at 3 different settings ( which can give you great scraping abilities, and also let the blade ride in a way so that it doesn't damage as much lawn works good this time of the year when the lawn is soft) <p>I really like their attachment system, ane believe they build a rock soild product. The problem with diamond is they are a very small company. They almost went under in the late 80s or early 90s, then meyer bought them out. So they are a small company that isn't know very well, i have never saw a diamond add in my life. I just think that more people need to try them out, and they will like them. Look at Phil, never used a Diamond before never really looked at them, i can remember he said fisher and their min mount was great. Look he has his first Diamond and a good dealer from what it sounds like, i think he will buy another diamond. <p>The end thing is i don't own diamond or their stock. They do build a good product, and if ya ever have time to check them out, take a look i bet you will like what ya see.<p>Geoff

8. vince

vince LawnSite Member

I know the Curtis people very well and I know that Mark Curtis and his brother Fred are working real hard at improving their line of plows. They have expanded their facility in Worcester, Mass several times and spend a lot of time and money in building quality products. I know that good input to them will lead to better products. They also make great cabs for tractors and have a good selection of mounting apparatus for hooking plows on to skid steerers, tractors, front end loaders and the like. Rating anything is subject to your own personal preference. One guy may like Fords, others Dodges, and still others like Toyotas. Isn't it what works well for you? Contact Curtis at their email address and get what ever data they have, and I know its extensive. I think many of us like the idea of being judge and jury.<p>vince

9. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Vince is that an italion temper i see. I dont want to see any guinie pigs around here.<br>But he makes a good point, by prejudging a product we undermine the ability and opportunity to find a better product.<br>Geoff if you dont own diamond/meyer stock you should, that way you can make some $$ from all the people at this forum that will but new diamond plows.And a little marketing $$$ for all the good things that you write.<br>Dino

10. GeoffDiamond

from Maine

I think meyer's stock is privately traded. Dino i can say the same thing for you with your majic cutting edges ( i can't remember how to spell the name, don't think i am trying to tick ya off). Anyways if i had have boughten my edges in bulk this year 3 for each truck, i would be talking to the guy in NH. Only right now we are still on the first one, haven't even flipped it yet ( i think i might be good for 2 years).<p>Geoff