Curved Bluestone Caps, HOW?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by dvlscape, Apr 12, 2007.

1. dvlscape

dvlscape LawnSite Member

2. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

where they really curved or just cut into smaller pieces like SRW wall caps?

3. dvlscape

dvlscape LawnSite Member

They are curved, don't know how, I have seen them in much tighter radius, around fountains.

4. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

You can either order them pre-cut from a template from your stone distributor (if they offer it) or you can cut them down from the smallest piece that'll still fit the curved piece inside it. Making yourself a template is totally the way to go.

Dave

5. dvlscape

dvlscape LawnSite Member

Do the sides still look ok? will they need to be grinded or sanded to look smooth again. Are you talking cutting them with a cutoff saw with a diamond blade like we use for everything else? Thanks

6. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

cant tell from the picture but is that real blue stone or the concrete simulated bluestone?

7. dvlscape

dvlscape LawnSite Member

The wall is a faux stone, I'm 99% sure the caps are real bluestone, I checked them out earlier today

8. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

we have a company here that makes mainly marble counter tops but we have had him cut blue stone for some custom apps before on interior projects, I dont see why he couldnt do something like that since circular patterns and such are no problem, just a bit more costly to the customer.

9. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

The peices are acctually curved.

They hit the ends of the bluestone with a torch to give it that finish appearence on the edge.

If i had to do a job like that, i'd most likely just have it all templated by the stone supplier.

10. mverick

mverick LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a counter top guy who does granite in the area. Ask him if he'd cut it for you. He'd need a water jet to do it but, they cut it like that no problem.

For you to buy a water jet factor in around $100,000. Water jet's cut everything including Marble, Granite, Steel.