Curved Mowing Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mastercare, Apr 5, 2005.

1. mastercare

mastercare LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 48" Bobcat WB. The blades that came on it are curved doward from the middle. Just wondering exactly what the benefit of this is. When I buy replacement blades should I get straight blades or curved? Is this Bobcat's version of Hi-lift blades?

Any input is apprectiated!

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have never heard of this type of blade coming on a commercial mower. I have seen this type of blade, though (if it's what I'm thinking of). Does it just have a higher bridge in the middle, and the blade bevels are set lower?

3. JoeinJasper

JoeinJasper LawnSite Member

I've got the same type of blade on my bobcat. It is a mulching blade for their 'versadeck' mulching system. Does your deck have a baffle around each blade? You should be able to put a strait blade on if you use the spacers to lower the blade to the same level. But you can't do this with a Gator type blade if the baffles are still in place because the wing will hit the baffle.

4. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like a mulching blade you get them on different types of mowers.hard to sharpen on blade grinders.

5. mastercare

It's starting to make sense. I have a 21" toro that mulches pretty well and it too has the curved blades now that I think about it. However, my mower didn't come with the mulch kit, and no, there's no baffle underneath.

I've had no complaints with the blades....but they are harder to sharpen. Not sure what to buy for a replacement set?

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, so you saying that where the blade curves, there is beveled edge, as well? Yes, THAT is a mulching blade. I was thinking of the blades that have the recessed mount that is higher than the cutting area of the blade.

7. mastercare

The best explanation I can give is that the blade is curved from tip to tip. Nothing is offset, the lift is no different behind the cuttiing edge.

Best way to describe it is that it is boomerang shaped (

Of course not that sharp of a curve, but from tip to tip the whole blade is curved, with the bolt hole being the highest.

Still not real sure what the point is!!! Just wondering if anyone else has replaced these with straight blades, and if so do I NEED a spacer? No baffles on this mower....no mulch kit. Just a standard deck.

,,,,,Maybe the dealer was out of blades that day and threw something else on them!

8. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

thats what one of mine looked like after I hit a water shutoff cap :eek:

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That sounds goofy, because even with straight blades, your mower should be adjusted so you have just the right amount positive rake (between 1/8" and 1/4"). If the blade is curved on top of that, the rake would then be way off. Not only that, but without the blades traveling in a flat plane (even pitched forward), this would affect the lift, as well. I think I would be looking into some different blades. I dn't see these things "dominating" the market.

10. rclay11541

rclay11541 LawnSite Member

The blades are curved because they have been sharpened poorly. Ushally this happens when you have a guy with a handheld sharpener and he dosen't know anything about balance, pitch or steel.

THERE ARE NO CURVED BLADES PRODUCED.