Curved or straight Edger?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Nov 7, 2006.

?

Which stick edger

1. Curved

23 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. straight

65 vote(s)
    73.9%
  1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Which do you prefer, a curved or stright shaft stick edger? I have a stright and am still a little disappointed in the way it edges. I talked to a lawn care friend that has a curved shaft and said he liked the way it egded better than the straight shaft. So which one does everyone perfer?

2. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

I use a Little Wonder Deluxe walk behind edger instead of a stick edger. I use it for for both walkway and bed edging. I might get a straight shaft stick edger next season just for edging walks and driveways. I've been told that the straight shaft is better for taller operators... that would include me.

3. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Stihl FC75 curved shaft. This is the only edger I have experience with so I cant say one is better than the other.

4. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Hmmn. The poll seems to be favoring the straight.

5. Ronnie Greenwood1

Ronnie Greenwood1 LawnSite Member
    from IL

I have had both I will go with the straight over the curved!!!

6. Ronnie Greenwood1

Ronnie Greenwood1 LawnSite Member
    from IL

There really should not be an issue of the way it edges all edgers I think do the same unless they are under powered or opperator

7. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a stihl straight shaft and prefered the echo curved shafts I was using. I hold the edger up near my shoulder and the straight shaft has no height adjustment in this position it is all the way to the ground. I am trying to make a bracket to hold the wheel in a lower position to overcome this. so I would say it is not better for taller operators. Also I had to replace the gear box and the straight shaft was 2x the cost of the curved shaft gear box.

8. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an echo curved shaft and its great.

9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I am looking into getting an echo PE 230 or PE 260, so Curved shaft for me.

10. booboy

booboy LawnSite Member

Where I come from no proffesionals use curved shaft. If we do happen to see a company using one it makes for a good chuckle.