Curved shaft edger vs. straight shaft edger?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TriMLawN, Oct 10, 2007.

1. TriMLawN

TriMLawN LawnSite Member
    from Tampa

I have never used a straight shaft edger before, but I was wondering what the main difference between the two is. Would a straight shaft edger be better for a taller person? Are they pretty similar to use? Does a straight shaft edger give you the same angle of cut as a curved one? Sorry for all the questions, but my fc75 is on its way out and I was looking at the fc100 or
    fc110 and was looking for some feedback. Thanks in advance.

2. mmedley

mmedley LawnSite Member

i like the striaght shaft since i am tall over the curved shaft i used to have......too me it seems to be easier to edge the lawns as well

3. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

i prefer the straight shaft cuz i feel that with the curved shaft.... bein that the shaft curves to the side, the weight of the gearbox twisting your hand when you hold it is really awkward. the straight shaft is more comfortable and easier to handle.

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Most that move to a strait shaft never look back. Some company's even make a longer shaft for taller individuals (I think) but I'm not sure which one. They are standard for any type of commercial work. You can also get a solid shaft for use with such things as brush blades etc. They are just better all the way around for most.

5. ECHO4LIFE

ECHO4LIFE LawnSite Member

If you are trimming professionaly definately go with a straight shaft. The angle of the gearbox is angled so you don't have to hunch over to trim or edge. I love the SRM 261 T. It has a high torque gearbox that allows you to run wide open and not loose RPM when you get into heavier grass.

6. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Straight shaft, definitely. Holds better on the trailer. Generally get a solid shaft which allows for greater torque and reduces chance of breaking. Less of a balancing act when using. And the ladies... um, nevermind.

7. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

how can u make a straight shaft edger, link plz, all the echos ( I use an old 2400) have a curve at the end to make the 90 degree turn neccessary.

Whatever u do remove the stupid wheel on the end, way lighter and it only impeeds the depth of u edge. They put it on so you go through blades faster, take it off anf ur blades also last twice as long.

8. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

I found the straights, look nice, my echo always turns on it's side on the rack.

9. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Look at Stihl. They've got the most power, too - which is sooooooo worth it on this first time edgings.

10. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

i don't like straight shafts. I could never get a clean edge with mine. It was a fc110 stihl w/ the kombi system. I sold it and bought a underpowered redmax curved shaft and love it!