curved shaft stick edger or straight

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cpt87gn, Sep 11, 2009.

1. cpt87gn

cpt87gn LawnSite Member

ived noticed that a lot of commercial stick edgers are curved not straight unlike the trimmers that are all straight why is that i just bought a shindiawa le261 of of ebay and i was just wondering since i never used one before and how quick does the blade wear out thank you

2. IamTheEcho

IamTheEcho LawnSite Member

So that you walk on the sidewalk instead of the grass. Depends on how much you use it.... about 5-10 hours of use I suposse

3. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I wear out a blade or two a week. Course I don't run em too short so the gear box don't get drug along the ground.

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I too wanted a stright shaft for our edger, however was talked out of it because everyone said it will throw crap right in your face.

or you will ahve to stand one sided.

5. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

I have both straight shaft is way better for over grown, but it a pia for beds. edger blades I change out about every 1-2 hours of use which comes out to be about 20 yards.

6. pg250

pg250 LawnSite Member

I don't understand the offset curve of edgers like the Shindys. When edging a curb it would put you walking in the street the way I see it. I have an account where cars are zipping by (way over the speed limit) 2 feet away from me and I'm on the grass! That account is what got me thinking about it; I am sure many of you enjoy the same experience of jumping out of your skin with your back to the traffic when somebody blows by you without moving over a little.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I just went from a curved to the straight shaft. There's really no difference for me. I have noticed though that the straight shaft edger will sit straight up when you set it on the ground where-as the curved usually fell over. Here's a pic of the two of them together.

[​IMG]

8. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got the Stihl straight edger (on the Kombi shaft). Its more "open" than their curved shaft edger, but even so, it doesn't throw ANYTHING back at me. It does throw a little, straight forward. I like the open design, because it doesn't clog up with stuff (which is an issue I had with a previous stick edger).

BTW, the Stihl straight shaft edger has a wheel next to its gearbox, so you don't drag the gearbox on the ground (you can kind of see that in the above picture; its the white wheel, just barely in the shot). The curved shaft version doesn't have that.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You can see the white wheel a little better in this pic.

[​IMG]

10. SCAG POWER

SCAG POWER LawnSite Senior Member

Most of the time , when i see some one using a stright shaft edger they are edging grass that has grown over the curb and is now on it's way into the street. I liked to have one but at this time just got to wait till things pick up.