Curved shaft trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Dawg, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I have got serveral friends that like the curved shaft trimmers not because of the shaft but because the head turns clockwise. I was wondering why most curved turn clock and most{ or all} straight turn counter. I just flat out do not like curved so I run straight, but I hate walking backwards in heavy growth { walk forward in regular conditions}. Why do the straights not turn clockwise? I think it would be nice if they did.

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I think I know but not be able to put it in the correct words....curved shaft trimmers usaully dont have a clutch...they drive right off the engine.

A straight shaft does also but with the clutch....it turns clockwise also....when the clutch brakes come in contact with the clutch hub... the resistance causes the shaft to turn the opposite direction...counter clockwise.....think Im right but some one may have a better wording for it

wayne

3. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

The gearbox on a straight shaft trimmer reverses the final direction of the head. A curved shaft trimmer doesn't need a gearbox.

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

The clutch at the engine dosn't have anything to do with it. And most Curved shaft models do have clutches. Only the old cheapos didn't.

I used to use both curved shafts and the old Ryobi straight shaft models because both turned clock-wise. I tried and tried (but never gave it enough time) to learn to operate a "commercial" straight shaft trimmer. Finally a few years ago I just forced myself to learn, first thing in the season. After a few weeks I was getting better and better, and now I wouldn't use the old curved or Ryobi models if you gave me a truck full of them.

Yes, it's the gearbox at the head that makes it spin the direction it does. This topic has came up dozens and dozens of times. People have taken their requests to make a trimmer that spins clockwise to several manufacturers and nothing ever happens. It seems that with all the innovation and change there is in the green industry no one will step up and address the trimmer issues.

Granted I've gotten so good at running one that spins CC, I have no desire or need to change anymore...

5. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Could they just cut the gears the other direction? I know they wouln't because of tooling cost, but it would be nice.

6. Grassbuster

Grassbuster LawnSite Member

It starts out counter-clockwise and gets confused :dizzy: in the sharp curve and comes out clockwise. .. .Ya thats it:laugh: worthless string trimmers IMO.

7. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

No---you'd need an extra gear, or the shaft would have to spin in the opposite direction to start out with---meaning the motor would have to rotate the opposite direction.