curved shaft

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncare3, Dec 9, 2002.

1. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I HATE curved shaft does anyone elese hate it as much i do i wish i could melt them all!:angry: :blob2: :realmad:
    the worst lawnequip ever invented is curved chaft trimmers.

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

...so go buy a straight shaft and the problem is solved.:dizzy:

3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I prefer the curved shaft trimmers because they turn clockwise and I can trim right handed - Wish they would make them with more power though, thanks, Brad

4. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

5. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Is there a company out there that makes a straight shaft trimmer that turns clockwise - would have to have an engine that runs backwards to counteract the gear drive in the head?

6. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have always used Echo curved shaft trimmers. (I'm sure I am almost all alone on this one.) I have tried the straight shaft before and it just didn't feel comfortable to me, maybe because I'm a lefty, I don't know. If they come out with a straight shaft that rotates the same direction as my curved shaft I would probally be interested. Maybe there is one? I don't know.

7. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I love my curve shaft trimmers (stihl fs75). They are as durable as any trimmer and they use the same engine as the fs 80 straight shaft so they have plenty of power.

8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

FD--the homelite st-275 is a straight shaft trimmer that rotates clockwise or aleast opposite to all the other trimmers.

and I always thought the motor ran forwards and everyone elses ran backwards!

lc3--I am glad that you clarified that the curved shaft that you hate is on your trimmer.

I suggest that you stop using it ASAP or you might explode from all of your anger.

GEO

9. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I'm 6'1" and my first weedwhacker was a curved shaft......and it KILLED my back to use it. :cry:

Best 'preventive mantainance' I have ever done for my body was probably getting straight shaft trimmers.

The Homelite straight shafts (2) that I own (UT-20769) turns clockwise. They 3 years old and I've only replaced the pull cord (it dry-rotted and snapped) and the spark plug on the 'primary use' one. Otherwise, they still fire on the 2nd tug and run like new. Must be that Opti-2 I feed them..and the bi-annual grease packing I give the shaft and gearbox. I've been waiting for that 'primary' trimmer to conk out so I can replace it with a Redmax...as all of my other handheld stuff is Redmax. I hope it does not take me too long to adapt to 'counter-clockwise' rotating heads.

On thing about the Homelites though...you will need to keep a few of those 'tap' buttons on hand (about $5 a pop)....I go through 1 about evey 3-4 weeks (at roughly 35 lawns a week).

10. MPhillips

MPhillips LawnSite Member
    from zone 7

I have 2 short guys on the team that love this one old stihl curved shaft...it's really weird. I tried to hide it one time to force them to use one of the sha****straight shafts but they found it...it doesn't have near the power, it vibrates like heck...but I guess it's just a real comfortable fit for them...last one I'll buy though, just don't have the power to swing the thick line all day...