Curved Stripes---Need Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zero_turn_freak, Sep 18, 2006.

1. zero_turn_freak

zero_turn_freak LawnSite Member

When I use my ZTR I have the tendency to curve my stripes(not on purpose) so instead of have nice crisp straight lines, I sometimes get curve not so strip crisp lines. Any tips on how to prevent this?

2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

slow down and look ahead at a fixed point not down in front of you and you can go over and fix the curved lines

3. jpicciu

jpicciu LawnSite Member

Going slow is a good idea. I always try to make my first line as straight as possible so that I can continue following that straight line on the next pass I make. Also, whenever possible, I like to make a pass by a driveway or a sidewalk, or the road or something that you can use as a straight line as a guide for keeping everything straight. What helped me the most was going slower and more with time I just got better and developed a steady method of doing it I guess.

4. GLC51

GLC51 LawnSite Member

I like cruved stripes it's kind of a trademark for me. Anyway if you like striaght lines on your first pass pick some object on the far side of the lawn and keep your eyes on that and make your adjustments keeping your eyes on that far object.

5. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

When the stripes I lay down end up being in a curved pattern, it is usually from a rough terrain. :usflag:

6. BPLS1993

BPLS1993 LawnSite Member

Start on a portion of the property where the distance to travel across it is the least, then just pick a fixed location like a tree in another property and dont take your eye off it, you just need to learn to trust your eyes, you will get the hang of it

7. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Whenever you are trying to keep a straight line, I usually start by focusing on an object on the other side of the lawn, and then heading to it. I don't take my eyes off of it and use the controls to keep my line of site straight. You'll find if you do this, you'll keep a straighter line and not wander as much.

8. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want to straighten out a line some, review it when you turn. Look at where you need to be wider and narrower. Then proceed to make adjustments where needed.

9. zero_turn_freak

zero_turn_freak LawnSite Member

THANK YOU for all of your tips, i trid them while owing today and the reulst wer 100% better, THANK YOU AGAIN:gmctruck:

10. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i like doing a 180 degree curve one week and a 180 degree curve in the opposite direction the next week. looks like ocean waves if you mate the middles correctly.