cust referals

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ronslawncare, Apr 24, 2003.

1. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i offer all my customers a free cut for each referal that we get ,well today one of my customers got me 4 full service customers in a row.I will be very happy if i get them the only thing now i will be giving the referal customer a months free worth of cuts,I didnt discount these propertys because of the 4 in a row plus my original on the block would be 5 .IM just wondering do you guys think i put my foot in my mouth with the referal thing or i made out good.

2. Mueller Landscape Inc

Mueller Landscape Inc LawnSite Senior Member

I give $20 off a months service for referrals. However, the referral must sign a contract.

3. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I think it was a good deal for you. Look at it this way. You gave your new customers a 25% discount on the first month. Thank your current customer and ask for more!!

4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I am assuming you only give the "freebie" if the new client signs up for service, right? In that case, you got yourself a helluva deal!

On the other hand, if you're giving a free mowing away just for 4 leads, whether or not you land the job, that sounds like a risky proposition to me. Too many people might take advantage of that in the wrong way. You could really get screwed; end up mowing for free and still get nothing in return.

5. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Make sure you get them before you start giving stuff away.
    I think the referrals would have to sign up for service before it counts as a referral.

Answer to the question is..Yes you come out good. Anytime you can increase your bottom line. 4 in a row is a good way of doing that.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

As Jim said, you got a heck of a deal if they all signed up. Thats more short term revenue and a good bit more long term revenue. Small price to pay for advertising. You had to do nothing to find them. Customer did the hard work, you only have to cut it for free. Finding customers is usually the hard part, especially getting started. Cutting it is the easy part.

7. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

Quite simply.... "What more could you ask for?" :)

8. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I give 1 free mow after I cut their lawn for at least 1 month (4 cuts).

9. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

If a current customer refers someone who signs a yearly contract, I give a $20 "Mow Money" coupon good towards any service I offer. The great thing about these, is that it's a "conversation piece" that many customers keep and never redeem.

mow~money-copy.jpg

10. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

ronslawncare,

Thats awesome dude! I offer the same, yet havent been so lucky to get 4 at 1 time. You did great overall.

Looking at the numbers. If they are all $30 lawns, at 4 weeks per month, times 6 months of service equals $2880 verses the same 6 months for the 1 at $720. I'd say the extra $2160 would be well worth 4 weeks of free cutting. Plus remember after the 4 weeks are gone you get to charge them again, as well as the others. ;)

Seems like a nice problem to have...hahaha