Cust want suggestions

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by sheshovel, Dec 4, 2005.

1. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

What do you guys think..Decomposing granite hill mixed with solid granite hill.Back of home
    As you can see drainage
    problem and ...well you can see the homeowner drain there.Apparently used to drain into a broken off pipe around the corner then into pipe and out to street drain.
    Would a wall help here?Or hinder?
    Also that small corner is the only access besides from the top of the hill..no room for equipment to get back there.
    Just thought I would see what you might come up with

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

I would replace solid pipe w/ corrugated pipe, wrap, and install some decorative stone. Nothing fancy, just practical in this situation.

Chris

3. sheshovel

I know what to do to fix the drainage..I want to know opinions on a wall here would help at all because the drain continualy fills with sand and soil from the top of the hill.But now that I think about it..you would have to drain the wall as well,so no would be my answer.Best I can do is fix the drain below and mulch the top of the hill and dig a rock filled diversion drain along the top to the lowest corner.So I will not suggest a retaining wall here.
    The drain there actually has holes and if you put a soild one in there it can't drain the whole area...do you mean a solid with a couple top drains?

4. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes. A wall would help the situation. In the scenario you gave I would opt for a CMU wall because of the height shown. If you use a segmental system, it will require backties of some sort, and since you have granite/decomposed granite in the slope, and have no real way of knowing where you are going to hit the solid once you open the hill up, you might end up soil nailing, which, is very expensive. CMU would come in for less. On top of the wall, install a brow ditch to grab the watewr befoe it heads over the top.

Now, I know you got the drain handled, so you might want to let the homeoner know you can't mix PVC and ABS pipe, no glue will bond the two. Anytime you do that you have to use a rubber mission coupler.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Before suggestions, whats the budget??? Anything can be done if the price is right

6. sheshovel

There at the suggestion "Mabey we need to do something here "stage,can't get equipment back there,no way because from the back of the deck is all U.S.Forest land,and no road just hill.
    The rock is very solid and big ,decomposing in spots...ya know what I mean?

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Yep it means that when you give them a price its gonna be we'll think about it and let you know! ya know what I mean???

8. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

A job like that based off the pictures is going to dance into the 90-100K range, perhaps alot more after all the particulars are disclosed.

9. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

What is is CMU wall?

10. sheshovel

Yes but I get some of those comming right back around two years later
    with the money and a GO too,
    so it does not hurt to give them a price