1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

cust wants to switch to all gran. ric look at this

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bug-guy, Aug 8, 2007.

1. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

i have a cust of mine who has a home owner assoc. who wants to go to an all granular program. right now they are on an every other month program 4 sprays and 2 gran. his question is how should he adjust his price.
    i gave him my answer looking for other advise.
    florida location
    st aug grass
  2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Bug Guy

Tremor preached all granules years ago and suggested an enclosed trailer with a spread and spray machine. As far as turf goes IMHO granular is best. Weed control of course is best done with spray. But Atrazine Weed & Feed applied twice a year does a great job on healthy turf.

I would advise your customer. not to get rid of his sprayer. Liquids do have a faster knock down and Fungicide is best applied foliar. To use the spray on a IPM bases for problems. Shrubs Trees and Ornamental, I see no way around a sprayer.

Cost comparison of the two methods is pretty basic. Granular is higher product cost than liquid. Combination products would be prohibitive on larger properties. Better to make two applys cost wise than one apply with a combination product. Labor on larger site is much less with granules than spray with a good ride on spreader. There in is your cost saving to make up for the higher produce cost.

BTW The other day I saw 7 Truly Nolen cab overs sitting in a 7-11 parking lot at lunch time. Knowing Richie the supervisor, I ask him Why they were all together. He said once a month they all do the big properties Truly has together. My take is one man on a Ride on spreader could do what 7 men and 7 trucks are doing.

In my own case on the small properties I have. It takes me longer or just as long to put down granules as spray. It is the clean up that adds the time. Like anything, you must design you work to the conditions you have.
  3. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

ric, as we have discussed before, atrazine is really hard to get away from, its fantastic on high clay soils with st. augustine turf:) from the sounds of it, you like also like atrazine on your sandy soils

i will have to say, once a lawn is nice thick and healthy, weeds are not much of a problem, just miner breakthrough ex. around a/c unit slabs, high traffic areas, yada yada