Custom anti blow out baffle 36"

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by TRex, Oct 7, 2003.

1. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

I seem to be having a little bit of blow out with my new metro hp 36". I did have the mulch kit on and took it off for the bagger and leaves, but when the mower gets to the leaves it pushes the ones the right side away. It is not to bad and sometimes it sucks them up after they pass the discharge chute. I am wondering if you could give me any help on how the baffle is made for the 52" and 60". I know you don't condone this but it bothers me when I make a pass and push the leave on the last pass. It is the worst up to about 10" from the right side and everything else gets pulled in. Any material specs and dimensions on lenght and width would help a lot. I know the factory baffle ends about where the problem starts on the 36" tri van deck anyways. I really do not want to drill in the front outside of the deck nor will I. I don't know if putting the baffle extension on what is there since it ends where the problem start with the blow out. So any other suggestions. Thanks Terry. If nessecary feel free to email me at rtlawn@sbcglobal.net . But I know a lot of other people have the same problem and if you can talk the guys into making something avaliable that would be wonderfull.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Trex,

Before I started making baffles I'd probably try a couple of other things first.

First I'd look to see how much worse it pushes the leaves with the bagger on and the bagger off. If you see a difference I'd look at the bagger to make sure the vent screen, mesh etc. isn't plugged. On our nylon mesh catcher when the weave gets plugged with grass, dirt etc. it won't let the air out and thus it won't let air in either. This forces the air to push out from under the deck rather than going into the bag causing the blow out. The aftermarket steel/aluminum baggers can experience this as well.

If youÂ’re using our nylon bagger it's not that difficult to clean. First blow it out with compressed air. This will get a great deal of the debris out of the weave. Then wash the bag with a hose and blow it out with compressed air again. You want to use the compressed air to remove as much debris as possible. That way all that dirt doesn't turn to mud and dry permanently.

I would also recommend that you try the Solid airfoil high lift blade. You might be surprised what a difference it will make.

Thanks

Terry

3. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

Thanks Terry

I have a steel catcher and I can see right through it so I know its not plugged. When you say solid foil would those be the ones that come on it from the factory with the little notch after the the foil or are you talking about the ones that taper into the flat part of the blade. Also it does it with and without the bagger. And a few people have talked about using a peice of rubber on the outside of the deck to keep the the air in the deck. If I did this I would try it first with tape to see how well it work and then I might try making something more pemanent.

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Trex,

The solid airfoil blade blends the airfoil into the blade. The notched blade is installed on all new units and has the notch removed at the transition between the blade and the airfoil.

I would recommend cleaning the catcher just in case. It doesn't always take a great deal of restriction to cause issues.

Thanks

Terry