Custom blends or off the self?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by livingsoils, Jan 27, 2006.

1. livingsoils

livingsoils LawnSite Member

Is anyone custom blending their fertilizer or are you buying it directly off the shelf? I am going to custom blend my Dimension/fert applications this year. It seems there is a limited selection on fert/Dimension analysis. It also gives me more control what goes in it and it cost almost the same. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

2. JWTurfguy

JWTurfguy LawnSite Senior Member

If you are working on a private estate, I suppose custom blends could be a good idea. But if, like most LCO's, you work on a variety of properties, custom-blending could be more of a headache than it's worth. What custom blend will you use for each particular lawn? I assume you've taken soil tests since you feel that the fert analyses aren't quite what these lawns need...And I assume you realize that each lawn will have it's own unique needs.

See my point? Usually the standard blends are close enough to provide a happy medium for all your lawns. But if that's not the case, then sure, custom blends might make sense. Just don't forget about your micronutrients when you write up your requests.

A word of warning, though: I've found that many LCO's that use custom-blends go back and forth on the actual analyses until finally settling on something that's virtually the same as the cookie-cutter analysis in the first place. But if the cost is basically the same to you, I guess you can't do wrong.

Have fun!

3. livingsoils

livingsoils LawnSite Member

I should clarify my post. I don't mean custom blending for each individual customer, that would be insane:dizzy: . I mean custom blending per application for your entire customer base.

4. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Last year I purchased 76 tons of custom blended products. From straight fertilizer to combination products. I find that it is the only way I have to get what I want in my blends. I have been purchasing custom blends for over 20 years and if you take into account that mine is a family business for over 50 years. There are differences and you get what you want.
    good luck