Custom laptop stand for under $35 - I'll b 100% mobile this year

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by milsaps118, Mar 7, 2009.

1. milsaps118

milsaps118 LawnSite Senior Member

Just finished building a laptop stand for inside the truck. I used .236 plexiglass for the top and just cut it down to the size of the laptop. 3/4 flange, 24" long flexible copper gas pipe (I found the stiffest, most ridged piece they had) that had 3/4" threaded ends. One on each end. 4 flat top screws with nuts, and 1" loom to dress it all up. Total cost was under $35 and everything was bought at Home Cheapo. Took me about 1/2hr to do.

I plan on being more efficient this year by being able to do estimates, contracts, invoices, etc... while on the road right on site while with the customer. I also installed a portable printer (HP470) and a 1000W power inverter both mounted under the back seat. My camera ran out of batteries so I wasn't able to get any good pic's of the inverter and printer mounted.

All comments good and bad welcome.........

laptop stand 4.jpg

laptop stand 3.jpg

laptop stand 1.jpg

laptop stand 2.jpg

2. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

Good job!

Is your truck Diesel?

3. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

Thats almost exactly the same as mine is. I have the power inverter and printer also. I used velcro to hold the laptop to the plexi and it works great. Nice Job!

4. milsaps118

I wish....its a 6.0 gasser

Thanks...I was going to use some velcro on mine but when I went and test drove it around it seemed to stay in place pretty good. I have 4 small rubber pads on the bottom of the lappy and it seems to keep it planted.

5. Green Team Landscaping

Green Team Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

That's pretty cool. That seems like a good idea to have a totally mobile operation.

6. milsaps118

I'll find out how much more effective it will be with this setup in a few weeks when I start doing estimates.

I like the fact that I can print out a good looking service contract right on site and propose it to the customer at the same time. I'm hoping this will increase my "closing ratio", not to mention almost everything else I use my PC for, I can have access to with the lappy in the truck with me.

7. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

Those rubber pads wont save your laptop in a hard breaking or cornering situation. Velcro is cheap, a laptop smashed on the windshield or worse, under your feet, is not. The screen can break easy if it falls even a couple feet with the screen open.

Oh and mobile internet is nice if you dont have it allready. I like my Verizon air card. A few other companies make them also.

8. jord1990

jord1990 LawnSite Member

how do you keep the black part supporting the fiberglass so firm.... what is that pipe made of again. I'm looking into this similar setup.

9. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

I like that stand. You could have put a channel around the edges to keep the laptop in the middle and to keep from falling off. I see you got leather seats in your work truck, how nifty. Must be an LT trim truck

10. got-h2o

got-h2o LawnSite Member
    from NW IN

I have an identical one I'll sell for $40 shipped. It's the same aside from it has a strap to hold the laptop in place and also a piece of 3/4" alum angle along the bottom to support it.

It worked great until I dropped my laptop and never replaced it.