1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

custom leaf eater

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rjmj, Sep 4, 2003.

1. rjmj

rjmj LawnSite Member
    from mn

Does anyone have a walk behind with a powered vac system on it?
    I have a 52" walk behind and a pull behind agri-fab vac bin with a 5hp engine on it . I would like to some how combine the two to make one unit. The agri-fab is designed to be pulled behind a lawn tractor(like a trailer) but its a major pain to back up. so i was thinking of mounting the collection box over the wb's deck and the engine behind the wb. If you have anything like this please post some pics. or if you have any better ideas?
  2. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Please post a pic of a WB pulling a trailering leaf vac!

BHB said something about that last year.
  3. Simone Lawn Service

Simone Lawn Service LawnSite Member

This is kind of off the subject, but if you want to see a really nice leaf sucker, go to plowsite.com and check out this guy named Pelican's truck with leaf sucker on it (do a search just like here) He built it from scratch and it looks super professional (lots of step by step pics also)
  4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I don,t know about mounting the collection box on your walk behind, would it make it hard to see over the top of it?

They have vacs that are powered by engines or with the pulley belts of the deck, and they are called Track Vacs or there is another called a Peco Vac. They are made so you can see over the top of them to avoid hgitting things. I can not think of a web site right now, it is kind of early for me.
  5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

That would work, you have plenty of hose to work with. But you'll have to rig up mounting brackets and arms for the engine and blower. the box on your tow behind unit will be way too big for a walk behind, so you'll have to make another. Remember, where air flows in it must flow out, so you must put a vent screen on that hopper. Would suggest looking at www.trac-vac.com and click on model 470 I think for walk behinds. Do something alot like that, or make a hopper more like the Protero 230 ( http://www.proteroinc.com/vacs_230-232.htm )
    Peco does not make a walk behind model but you may get ideas from their site www.lawnvac.com
    Or I'm sure you could rig up a way to tow this behind the walk behind somehow, I've heard guys tell of seeing one done that way before :D
    Or if all this sounds like too much work, email me and I would be interested in buying the thing from you.
  6. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh, no, leaf time coming again? I guess I'll hook up my leaf plow.
    I had a potential customer point up into some trees, and ask how much to pick up the leaves in the fall...If there's anything worse than picking up leaves, it's pricing the work, especially before they have fallen. The woman told me how much the last guy charged, and how long he was there, wanted me to meet or beat his price, I guess. He was there about an hour or two, two men, 75 bucks each time. Sounds about right, or even a little cheap, though I didn't say that to her.

I told her I can't price them while they are in the trees. These are oaks, that will need to be picked up many times. If I gave her a price for each time, she would mess with the time between pickups. If I give her an hourly rate, she'll wine.

Man, I hate leaves. I'll do the work, but I won't be cheap. I have a billy goat vac, a bp blower, a leaf plow for my scag (it'll go on the gravely or the exmark, too), a three foot wide hand rake. But all that stuff'll stay here unless I'm making a good profit.
  7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I did a search...many searches and could not find anything. Would you mind sharing a link?

8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

9. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

PM Rodfather. I think he has some tracvac type units for his w/b's. The only downside of course is the pony motor. They're always high maintenance. Love the way my Peco works, but will be going w/ eXmark & ultravac next time.
  10. rjmj

rjmj LawnSite Member
    from mn

If I take the vac engine off and mount it to a trailer will it work for a leave loader or is 5hp too little?