1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Custom Leaf Plow

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by chadslawncare, Oct 14, 2011.

1. FoghornLeghorn

FoghornLeghorn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

You need to patent that. You got mad skills, man!

I'm serious about the patent.

2. chadslawncare

chadslawncare LawnSite Member

I thought about getting a patent but basically it is just a plow with a foot lever that lifts and lowers the plow. Of course the plow itself IS better constructed than what is currently available but the foot activated lever mechanism that is built on the mower mount would be worth a patent. All I knew before I started designing this was that I wanted to lift and lower the plow without needing to use my hands. The plow was easy, the custom mount was fairly easy, then came the hard part of designing the lifting mechanism. I tried it out yesterday in my own yard and it worked well.
    Chad

3. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 LawnSite Senior Member

Thats awesome man, sure beats the other units i've seen on here and on the internet.

4. FoghornLeghorn

FoghornLeghorn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Well, get a patent. Otherwise, in a year I'm gonna post some pics of me fishing in Great Exuma on my new 61 foot Viking sportfishing yacht that I bought with all the money I made when I sold a stainless steel plow for Zero Turn mowers to Exmark...

5. chadslawncare

This leaf plow was designed to last many years unlike the leaf plows that I have seen available for purchase. I have had the chance to use this plow on almost all of my customers so far this season and it has saved me a lot of time and labor emptying bags. I can get around 60-70% or more of the leaves to the curb before I have to vacuum them. Then there is the convenience of operating the plow with a foot lever. Now that is really sweet.
    Chad

6. Federal Lawn Company

Federal Lawn Company LawnSite Member

I wish I had your skills. That's awesome.

7. chadslawncare

Finally got a decent day here in northern Ohio to get a few pictures of the leaf plow in action.....

IMG950-1804.jpg

IMG950-1807.jpg

IMG950-1816.jpg

8. chadslawncare

I talked to a patent lawyer Friday. They wanted too much money to write it up and file the patent for the lift design. I have achieved what I set out to accomplish. I am sure that the plow manufacturers will probably take this design and begin making them as an add-on feature that could be ordered. There are quite a few front attachments for zero turn mowers (deathatchers, leaf plows, rakes etc.) and in a few years from now, we will probably see more of this lift design in front of mowers.
    Chad

9. bobcat48

bobcat48 LawnSite Gold Member

Looks good,nice mower.

10. StihlMechanic

StihlMechanic LawnSite Bronze Member

Patents can be pricey. You need to seek out investors if your serious. You have a great design. If all else forget the patent and build these for other LCO's.