Custom Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MightyMc12, Jul 12, 2004.

1. MightyMc12

MightyMc12 LawnSite Member

I was wondering if any one has ever customized thier mower... such as adding a bigger engine changed color ext... I have an old lawn boy it cuts 26" it is an antique rider. I am putting an 8hp techampse engine on it. No idea whats going to happen. Post any similar stories.
  2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

When I was 11, I got two different riders given to me as a bonus for a job I did for an old fella, One was an junker that had an excellent running 11hp Briggs, and the other was an ancient (but mint) Craftsman 25" cut rider that his wife ran out of oil. I replaced the 6hp techumseh, with the 11hp. It was a beast!!! It only had a 3 speed tranny, slow, decent pace, and fast, for a riding lawn mower. After the swap, it would hog down 10" of st. aug growth in 3rd like nothin'.. That said if my Surfer outlasts it's 22hp Kohler, I'd sure like to swap on a 27 kohler or maybe a Generac 32...:D
  3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Well- minor mod to the rider we added headlights. Going to build an OCDC for it too sometime.

On the walk behind eXmark I made it into a 36” when it was a 52”. I built a new carrier frame for it and dropped in the deck, added spindles and idler pulleys, and narrowed the drive tires to fit the narrower width. So it’s a 17hp V-twin Kawasaki powered 36” floating deck hydro walk behind (with Proslide).

I’m putting together an older Toro 21” that needed an engine and was sitting around for a long time and I’m putting a 5.5 briggs on it that grampa gave me. It works great but I have to fix something on the drive wheel gear that came off when testing the engine.

My backpack blower (The Kawasaki) was a left hand throttle and we put a tube mount throttle on it (friend and I) from a Husqvarna blower.

I made the Echo split boom from a split boom that I used parts from with a dead engine and using an Echo trimmer of the same model but not a split boom.

I made my own custom backpack blower rack on the trailer (you strap the blower on while it’s still on the rack so you start it then put your arms into it and lift it off the hook). It’s pretty cool. Holds both blowers and the tubes and works well.
    Also on the trailer I added a custom tongue (can’t go into detail, it’s still under wraps), added a gate lift spring, and put expanded metal on the sides instead of the wood it had.

I’ve had many other customized machines (garden tractors, previous commercial mowers, etc) LOL.

4. MightyMc12

I am impressed Eric. I desperatly need to get a 36" walkbehind. That sounds like a cheap way to do it.
  5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I though you were going to make it a 32" model. Looks good. I hope those front caster last. I had a set on something I built, they wore out pretty quick. I would like to let you know what it is, but then I would have to kill you. LOL

I don't leave anything stock. I added customed shop built stripping kits to my stander. A few other minor things to stuff.
  6. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey FSM, howabout a pic of that blower rack.
  7. MightyMc12

A correction. I was going to put an 8hp engine, but it didnt have the right shaft size. So the only other option was an old 10hp that my dad had lying around. Do you think that this 26" lawnboy is practicle at all? It cant bag but it will mulch.