Custom Phone Number

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, Apr 29, 2004.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I am seriously considering getting a customized phone number like 555-LAWN.

I am wanting feedback on two different aspects of this.

1) From those of you who have done this. Do you think it is worth it? Do people actually say they saw it and remembered it?

2) I think the letters L A W N are a little overused in this industry. I'd like to have something a little more creative and yet still relates to landscaping. Also, I think L A W N makes it sound like all we do is lawn mowing, and we don't. In the summer, over half of our business is installs, irrigation systems, clean-ups, etc. So I am trying to think of another 4 letter word that relates to landscaping that people would see and remember.

Any comments are appreciated.

2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

pssstttt, they only use "555" in the movies

3. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I have an LCO friend in Mass that is 555-LAWN.

He says it generates a TON of calls. He has also had other area LCO's offer him cash for the number. I don't think he needs additional business anymore, but it's an easy number for his customers to remember.

However, he does mowing only.

4. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

You could advertise using more than 4 letters, and the last one just does not get used.

so 555-Green and when people dial it, it's just 555-gree but they remember it by the gREEN

just a thought. I also was considering this move, but it is down the road.

I was going to do 555-TWINS

I like the idea though, good luck with it, and out of curiousity, how much does getting a # like this cost?

5. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally it annoys me if someone gives me their phone number like that. Most of my calls are made with a cell phone, and it's a bit of a pain to try and figure what number to call based on the letters. It's not so bad if they give both the word and the number.

6. JimLewis

I agree, it annoys me too. I'd rather just have the number. It's difficult to look up letters while you're driving.

That being said, I can tell you that the number to a local Chinese Food Delivery place is 579-HOME. And I've remembered that since the first time I ever saw their van. I've used it a dozen or more times over the years.

I can also tell you that the number to Seven Dees Landscaping (largest landscaping firm in our state) is 777-7777. Everyone around here knows that number.

I also know that if my Satellite dish is acting up I can call 800-333-DISH.

And I know that if I want some trash hauled away to call 1-800-GOT-JUNK. Why??? It's all over their trucks. And I see their trucks all over town. So it must be working.

All these I know off the top of my head any hour of any day. I only had to see them a few times and I remembered them, whether I like it or not. The point is; annoying as they are, they get remembered.

goodflyer.jpg

7. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

For me it is handy if they post both, like the flyer you posted. If I can't remember the number the acronym does have it's place.

8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

How about 1-800-SCRUB.

9. JimLewis

Hey, thanks for the compliment. Right back atcha there, Buddy. :D

10. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont like numbers that spell something either. I would like to get a number that is easy to remember though like 720-2020 or 858-8585 or something similar.

Just a thought.