1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Custom Trailer Gate?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by CHRIS92789, Mar 11, 2012.

1. CHRIS92789

CHRIS92789 LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone have any plans for a custom trailer gate. My trailer is 80inches wide and i want to make the gate about 5 feet long. Has anyone done this yet? I figure i would need angle iron, square tube, mesh and some pipe for the hinges? If anyone can give me some plans please let me know! thanks!

2. dieseltech

dieseltech LawnSite Senior Member

It will cost more than if you go to a trailer dealer and buy a pre made gate. I am buying a new gate this week for less than i could build one.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

You're going to want a two piece gate or have a serious lift assist. My advice is to make one pin longer than the other to on the hinge so you can hand one side the line up the other one. I hate when the pins are the same length and it takes two people to hang a gate.

4. cuttin-to-the-Max

cuttin-to-the-Max LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya lost me when you said pipe for the hinges...
    I have never built a gate before but i would mock a regular trailer ramp design..
    wait why are you building your own gate anyway?!?!?

ANYWAY just get some metal hinges from Northerntool and weld them on! Not too hard in theory anyway! But theory & reality are 2 WAY different things sometimes.

5. CHRIS92789

The reason i am building it is the fact that i thought it would be cheaper. But i am going to drive about 2 hours away today and pick up a gate from a compnay.. cost 400.00 its a split gate heavy duty ramp.

6. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I made mine and I had more then 400 in it But on mine I can load anything Mine are split tail gates with spring assist very strong and heavy with out springs

7. CHRIS92789

This gate is rated for 5500 pounds. It's a split gate design. I'm going to add the spring assists
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. dieseltech

dieseltech LawnSite Senior Member

That is a good decision to buy one.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. CHRIS92789

Got split gate ramps with all hardware 7000 # rating for 250.00:)
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. cuttin-to-the-Max

cuttin-to-the-Max LawnSite Bronze Member

Pics pics pics pics! :waving::waving::waving: