Custom Trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by American_Lawn, Jan 1, 2008.

1. American_Lawn

American_Lawn LawnSite Member

I have an uncle that wants to build me a custom trailer. I will be pulling it with my 02 f150 4.6L. I am only hauling a 32z, 2 21 and accessories. I was thinking around an 6x10. My biggest problem is that I drive about 900 miles a week and I want to try and save a little on gas. Should I got with a bigger trailer or just go with this size? Also, what are some options I shoulf have him add. Should I go double or single axel?
  2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Dude... why is your route 900 miles a week?
  3. American_Lawn

I have a contract that gives me 150 cuts a week and it covers an entire county. It is just mow blow and go. I am getting things tighter, but some days I just have to service the edges. I average about 120 miles pr day.
  4. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

I would put a locking tool box on the front, trimmer racks, blower racks, etc. I would make it a single axle if you go with the 6x10, since that is not a lot of weight. Full width ramp. Make the tool box big enough for all your tools so that you have everything with you in case of breakdowns, I would also put high mesh sides on it to keep everything secure. Could he build an enclosed trailer? Because that would make a lot of sense to have on a long route.
  5. American_Lawn

He said he could, but it would not be with the material that one would get on a new factory built trailer. I can not remember what the material was called, but he said it was alot lighter than most trailers and I was worried about break-ins due to it being thinner. Would I get better gas mileage of it had a 6x10 enclosed?
  6. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

6 by 10 is kind of small; but, to each his own. Go with a single torsion axle.
  7. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

1 County and 900 miles per week? I cover 7 counties and only do about 500 tops... 400 if I can move quickly.
  8. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

Moving quicker doesnt mean you cover less ground. You cover the same amount in a quicker time?

Now a tighter route, that would shave 100 miles off.
  9. lawnscapesLLC

lawnscapesLLC LawnSite Member

I would not worry about break ins too much-- even the thicker metal on 18 wheeler trailers can cut be thru with a pair of cheap tin snips.
  10. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Holy Crap, 900 miles/wk! Wow! I hope they pay you crazy well. I'm kickin' myself cuz my longest day is 50, wish they were all about 20-25 tops.

Anyway, a 6x10 trailer will be just fine, with a single 3,500# axle. I have a 6x10 open and a 7x14 enclosed, we use the 6x10 8 times as much as the enclosed. Easier to drive, easier to tow and big enough for 2 36" mowers, 2 21s and all the blowers, trimmers, edgers etc.

If you plan on getting bigger equipment, get a bigger trailer. 6.5 x 12 is a very nice size.

Enclosed are nice, but if I was driving 900 miles a week, I would want something as light and low profile as possible.

Towing an enclosed is like towing a sail.