Custom trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mowerbrad, Jun 25, 2010.

1. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I talked to a friend today and mentioned that I was looking at new trailers, hoping to get one by fall, and he mentioned that a company about 45 minutes away can get me a great price on a custom built trailer. This got me thinking....maybe custom is the way to go.

It'd be an open trailer, 16 or 18 feet long by 7 feet wide. It would have a split ramp gate in the rear and a 4 foot wide side ramp on the front passenger side. The axles would be two 3500lb axles with breaks on both, I thought about 5200lbs axles but depending on the price I get, the 3500 axles would be more economical for me. I'd like to have some sort of built in tie down system to make things easy for me.

I will only be towing 1-2 mowers and a little bit of grass from the baggers, so this trailer wouldn't have a ton of weight on it.

What things do you guys think I should put on this trailer?

If I get a good price back from the fabricator, I will probably go through with it and want to make sure that this trailer is what I want and has everything I like.

2. Dan85

Dan85 LawnSite Member

I can't stress enough how useful boxes are on our 18' open trailer. We have a united Welding Service Neck Box (http://www.uwsta.com/rec_trailer_box.html) and two UWS Fender Well Boxes (http://www.uwsta.com/blue_fender_well.html) . Initially I thought these fender boxes would be useless because of their size, but I've grown to really love them.

Trimmer racks are always nice. We have two backpack blower racks, but they stick out too far for my liking, (especially when backing into the bay at night) and I would rather just keep them in the truck anyways. We have an electric RV jack on our trailer, it's a nice perk at the end of the day, but it's nothing I couldn't live without. Our trailer also came with 2 equipment ramps in addition to the mesh gate, these are stored under the trailer. Also, we have a lift assist for the gate, like a gorilla lift, definitely a good investment. We have D-hooks welded to the top of the frame for our tie downs.

3. mowerbrad

I've thought about a tongue box on the trailer, the more I think about it, the better the box sounds. And a gate assist would be really convenient.

4. mowerbrad

I know more of you guys have some ideas....

What would you guys want on a trailer? I'd like to send my design to the fabricator by the end of the week.

5. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

way off topic, but where in the world is grand haven?

is it on lake MI

is it near luddingtion?

6. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen LawnSite Member

Watch out having brakes on both axles on a longer trailer...we've had issues with our 20 foot and 2 axle brakes sliding the front tires...

Good luck!

7. mowerbrad

So maybe only having brakes on one axle would be better....that would also help to keep the cost of the trailer down some.

I'd like to have some tie down points in several spots (every 3 feet), I was thinking just simple D-ring type tie down points as apposed to an E-trak system.

I would like to have rear stabilizer jacks so I could load/unload the trailer without having the trailer hooked up to the truck.

I will be putting a tongue tool box on the trailer, which will be very convenient to keep straps and tarps in there.

I'm also thinking of putting a boat winch on the front of the trailer, in case a mower breaks down and I have to load it on the trailer by myself.

8. mowerbrad

Grand Haven is on Lake Michigan, south of Ludington.

Grand Haven is the green star on the map.....

GrandHaven_MI.gif

9. mowerbrad

I posted this in the "truck and trailer" section but haven't been able to drum up too many responses and I'd like to get some quick suggestions on this within a day or two so I can get all my info together to send out to the fabricator.

I've been in need of a new trailer for a little while now. My current trailer does the job but is slightly smaller than I'd like (6x14) and it is starting to fall apart and having repairs done to it far too often.

So I was talking with one of my friends the other day who mentioned having a trailer custom built to fit my exact needs. He is a rep of some sort for the fire truck division of a local trucking center, the same place that would be able to custom make a trailer for me (they have done many trailers before) and he said he could also try and get me a deal on the trailer. So this got me thinking, maybe custom making a trailer would be my best bet.

This trailer would be used mainly for mowing, so it'd have grass/leaves on there, hauling maybe 2 full size mowers eventually and a 21" mower. Eventually it could carry something heavier, but as of right now, I don't plan on it hauling anything more than lawn care equipment.

So far I've come up with a few ideas and have drawn up a sketch of what I'd like it to look like. Here is what I've come up with so far....

-18' long by 7' wide
    -tandem 3500lb axles, one with brakes...(if it isn't too much more I'll upgrade to 5200lb axles).
    -Split rear ramp gate (gate would be split two sections, both 3.5' wide)
    -4' side ramp gate on passenger side.
    -1' railing all around trailer.
    -Tongue tool box
    -rear stabilizer jacks to be able to load and unload without being hooked to the truck.
    -LED lighting all around.
    -D-ring tie-down points every 3'.
    -Maybe a boat winch mounted on the front in case a machine breaks down and has to be pulled onto the trailer.
    -Yellow in color
    -Maybe some type of gate lift assist

Anyone have any other suggestions for me? I want to make sure that this trailer lasts me longer than my last one and is built right.

10. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

i've never heard of anyone having stabilizer jacks at the rear of tandem for tipping. tandems don't usually tip when loading and unloading. unless it's something big like a skid steer loader.

i could load and unload mowers on a tandem all day long unhooked from a truck.