Customer 500$$$ NO PAID what to do????????????

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by YoungGun, Aug 23, 2007.

1. YoungGun

YoungGun LawnSite Member

customer who live in the sub next to mine has never signed a contract for the past 2 years which is fine>>> last year she would cut me a check when ever i billed her and she says cut it when it needs it. i cut the one next to her so it is like a extra 10 mins to do hers so i always do it but i have not seen her in person this year at all talked to her kids wrote her notes bills invoices an dthe last one said if payment is not recieved by 9/1/07 legal action will be taken!

i havent sceen her and she has always been a good customer????

what the hell should i do or can i do?
  2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

You haven't seen her this whole year?
  3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Take her to small claims court or put a lien on her home or turn it over to a collection agency or find her and hound her until she pays you.
  4. poolboy

poolboy LawnSite Silver Member
    from earth
    I've collected about 75% of old debt using their services.
  5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Can you use them if you don't have a signed contract?
  6. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, I believe he can sue her without a contract.
    The reason, she has paid for services rendered in the past so a convincing argument of an implied contract should be sufficient in small claims court.
    Particularly since we are talking about a minimal amount such as this - the $500.00.
    I would, however, add administrative fees, collection fees and late payments of at least one half the outstanding amount. This way if the judge decides to "be sympathetic" and cut the judgment he should be able to recover the initial debt.
  7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I'd check to make sure she is alive.
  8. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I had a similar problem it as a long story basicly i had nothing on her she owned a house here but lived in colorado and i did not find or have the address there as i alwayse billed her at this adress and she alwayse paid basicly i had no way to get her served for court or anything but i sent her the petition to appear in court and basicly i guess she got scared her lawyer called mine and said we are going to settle out of court. Anyway i mow for my lawyer anyway and i got everything taken care of. Basicly yes you can serve her but depends on the judge if she does not personaly (ie anyone else that my live at the residence) sign for the certified mail she can still claim she did not recive the petition to appear and thats why she didnt show up if she doesnt show up. Anyway i would ask your neighbor if she has seen her and after that find a lawyer that needs his yard mowed. Its amazing what they can accomplish and what information they can find out for you.
  9. YoungGun

YoungGun LawnSite Member

bit- ch got spooked whe ni told her legal action will be taken if payment is not recieved by 9/1/07 --- she called and said that no way have i cut her for 18 weeks caus ethats one cut in april... i showerd her all her dates and she said ok then brougth up something about a green lid i ran over (she says) and she wants me to replace it... no biggy

its nice to finally get a lump some like that
  10. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Ya it sure is glad to hear u got it taken care of